Sommer Smart Gate Opener with ESPHome

Motivation

I equipped my gate with an automatic gate opener. Here in Germany, the brand “Sommer” is probably the market leader for such systems, so I choose the Sommer Twist 200e. It seems to do a good job at what it was designed for - opening and closing the gate - but lacks smart home compatibility.

Although Sommer sells a product (SOMweb) to integrate their Systems into Google Home, IFTT and Alexa, I decided to find a DIY solution, since the OEM solution

• comes at a price tag of 150€
  • does not integrate into HomeAssistant
  • probably not transmit whether the gate is open or closed in combination with my gate opener
  • probably relies on their cloud service
  • may not even be compatible with my specific gate opener, not sure though

With the help of an ESP microcontroller and the ESPHome plattform I want to integrate the gate opener into Home Assistant. Compared to just buying a double relay switch, this also gives me the possibility to monitor the state of the gate (open/moving/closed)

Controlling the gate

The controller of the gate opener system twist 200e provides several connectors for the external components such as the motor, a key switch, an electronic lock… These connectors are pretty interesting for our smart device, as they are easily accessible without modifying the controller.

With the help of the connectors for a key switch, it should be possible to control the gate. There are two inputs for a key switch with two contacts each. If both contacts are connected, the controller starts the corresponding action. The first input “Impuls” opens/stops/closes both wings of the gate, the second input “Gehtür” (german for pedestrian gate) only opens/stops/closes one of the wings. To simulate the connection of both contacts a key switch would make, we are going to use an optocoupler. This gives us the possibility to control the gate. What is left is monitoring the state of the gate

Monitoring the gate

After investigating how the controller operates, it seems like the controller only takes an educated guess, of whether the gate is opened or closed. It does that by monitoring the current both motors take. If the current drops, the motor has stopped and reached it’s final position, if the current rises, the gate probably ran into an obstacle. Monitoring the motor current is not an option, since grabbing the corresponding signal would require modifying the controller itself. Instead, I am going to use one of the following methods:

Method 1: Monitoring the motor supply polarity
Both motors are controlled by applying a positive or negative voltage of 24V to them. Depending on the polarity, the motor will open or close until it reaches an end stop. Knowing the polarity of the motor supply would give us information on whether the gate is opening or closing. Since each open/close process should take approximately the same time, we can determine if the gate was fully opend/closed or not.

Method 2: Reed Sensor
To eliminate the guesswork, we could also use a reed sensor to determine if the gate if closed or not. This probably is the most reliable method.

As this project is not finished yet, I will update this post with further information as soon as I made progress

3 Likes

Assembly and Installation

… will follow here …

ESPHome configuration

… will follow here …

As I use a Sommer twist XL gate opener I wanted to ask if you got any progress with your project?
Aren’t there dedicated open and stop sensors from the controller? May they can be used referring the gate position.

Searching the internet I found some interesting links.

Sadly they depend on the SOMweb hardware. Interesting is also that with the SOMweb hardware a light barrier is required to remote control the gate/door.

Thanks for sharing an idea!

Love your Sommer Smart Gate hack! Taking DIY to the next level. The optocoupler trick is genius for control. For monitoring, reed sensors are a game-changer – reliable and hassle-free. Excited to see your progress! You can also find more gate ideas here at Temecula. Keep the updates coming.

I want to give the feedback that I managed to get the Sommer twist XL gate opener smart with the help of a Shelly Uni.

The power supply for the Shelly Uni is realized by terminal 35/36 (24 V DC max. 100 mA). Beside the open/stop/close switch I opted for a dedicated open (terminal 25/26) and dedicated close (terminal 29/30) switch. If opened the gate can be stopped with the close switch and vice versa.
Last but not least the open/closed information is provided by terminal 37/38 while DIP switch 4 must be on. With DIP switch 6 you can choose the logic of this potential-free relay (dry contact).

I’m open to any suggestions or questions.

Unfortunately the Twist 200 E does not come with such a dry contact which indicates the gate state.

I had the same problem as OP and wanted to integrate the gate into a smarter setup for which I need dedicated open and close commands. I did this using the LEDs on the PCB of the gate controller. There are LEDs which only light up when the gate is currrently closing (Zu) and opening (Auf). By tracking their state using phototransistors and an ESP32 based controller, running ESPHome, I was able to solve this problem.

If anyone is interested I left the documentation here.

Regarding Sommer twist 200E → What about the relay for the optional e-lock? The lock should only lock in the closed state. Anyone measured the relay behavior?

Good question. The manual lacks that information.

The relay closes for about 5s when you open or close the gate. The times it is closed also seem to be equal for both cases. I didn’t do an exact timing, though.