Sonoff as irrigation controller with HA. who should holds the schedule?

I am building an irrigation controller base on this post.
And I am wondering where should I set the schedule.

If on HA, I will have better control and decision making, but a problem with HA or network might leave my garden dry…
If in the Tasmota schedule, it is more resilient but less verbose.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Naor

I’m planning a similar project (for irrigation and pool pump). I will go for schedule in the device.

And I will test with EspHome. I think this way I will be able to have a standard mode with latest schedule set in the device by HA and sort of custom mode where HA will be able to send commands to modify behaviors.

Maybe HA can use MQTT to change the local schedule… that might be the best of both worlds

@elnaor That is a good question.

When I wrote my system Tasmota was a lot more simple and had no rules or timers (that I was aware of). I think it is largely a question of preference as both methods offer advantages and disadvantages.

If I were starting again I think I would still use HA as the controller because as you say, it offers so much more flexibility and but your idea of using HA to constantly ‘re-program’ the controllers sounds interesting.

I am reading about it right now in the Tasmota docs. If it’s possible I will repost here and maybe we can modify your code to support it.

UPDATE:
The documentation has a complete Timer config. Here’s an example:

Timer 4 will TOGGLE output of POWER2 within a 30-minute window centered around 16:23 each Sunday, Monday, Thursday and Friday and will disable (disarm) after executing.

Timer4 {"Arm":1,"Time":"16:23","Window":15,"Days":"SM00TF0","Repeat":0,"Output":2,"Action":2}

I believe that at the start I will only read the values and set rain delays. But it is totally configurable to have a card that can set parameters and add more timers.