Sonoff basic stock firmware disable status LED

As has been mentioned before, all the certificates are on Itead’s website and the marking is on the box but not device.

Certification is hardware related not to do with the software they run, why do you use them if you think they’re unsafe?

CE marks are a manufacturers Self Certification and not necessarily backed up by a certified testing lab. Are they safe? Under what conditions? How often are these certifications re-evaluated? Chinese companies are notorious for cutting corners once their products have gained acceptance.
Perhaps the CE mark is all that is needed for you to accept them and I should just leave it at that. I suppose I don’t have any real evidence that they are dangerous other than the screw terminals can easily be separated from the board. A proper testing lab would find design defects like this and a manufacturer would make changes. What about when a capacitor fries right next to the relay. There is no shielding. Could it weld the relay in the closed position? I can’t imagine the potential outcomes with one of these things wrapped in several layers of tape and stuffed inside an electrical box.
I am using 7 of these devices. Why would I caution anyone and then use them myself? I am not using them to control an electrical load. I am only using them for their WiFi and sensor capabilities. I don’t trust them so I put them in locations I can easily monitor. I only suggested he use something else to control an electrical load in the bedroom at a time when he would be sleeping and unable to respond to a failure.
Think about how you are using them, where you are putting them. Take a close look at how these things have been designed and then decide if they are acceptable to you and your family. So I will say again. Your life; your choice.

Bless :rofl:

Just to be safe i bought a TP-Link HS100 smart switch. What do you guys think? To me it looks to be much better made, it has RoHS, EAC, CE certifications and the maximum load is 16A.

1 Like

Bobby, I suppose the thing that concerns me most is that advice is given, without offering any caution. People with varying levels of skill and understanding are given advice on doing things that can have serious consequences. Those consequences may not manifest themselves for a year or two or three and perhaps never. If the outcome is never, no harm done. What about the alternative.
Perhaps someone with no soldering skills applies a little too much heat, loosens a tiny resistor or slightly bridges some surface trace. They wrap this thing in several layers of tape and stick it in a wall box. What extra heat is trapped inside this tightly wrapped electrical device? This Sonoff device now controls a bank of incandescent spotlights. How long before the tape is crispy, tiny arcs begin as the lights turn on or off.
It’s great to be a hero. Offer caution and be a real hero.

@capidecallu I would say, a much better choice for where you are using it. Thanks for the update.

1 Like

You make perfectly fair points but I’m not sure why you kicked off after I corrected a couple of errors in your posts and then asked why you use them if you have no confidence in them.

Back to the original topic, I’d feel a lot safer in a house full of Sonoffs than any that had an electric blanket in it, if there’s a fire looking to happen it’s one of those things.

I think safety is paramount, but with 60w @230v we are talking about 0,26A . In perspective it is just as safe as using that only for sensor interface.
BTW, the Imetec electric blankets are really safe, have their own protection system against short circuits and do not overheat even if left powered on for days. I used them regularly in the last 20 years and never had a risk of any sort.

You correcting me has nothing to do with it. If I make an error in what I post, I would expect you or anyone else to correct my error. I was I guess this has been building. 3 way switch with sonoff was probably where I should have posted this. I did post in that thread but sadly not as I should have.
You can’t honestly look at the inside of these and think “wow these are really well designed”. Aside from the lack of a mechanical joint for the screw terminals and board, there is no physical separation between high and low voltage sides of the device. A tiny cover over the low voltage side would be enough. Seriously???

I disassembled them and (from my limited experience) they seemed better than other “remote controlled plugs” sold in regular shops. The feeling was of a good assembly of more-than-average quality components.
I’ve seen videos of people overloading them, and they failed gracefully without too much fire or explosions.

EDIT: found the link, the 10A Sonoff failed at 20A with some plastic melting but no fire. https://youtu.be/SLK84ZJ291k

You are right to some degree although I don’t have these in my bedroom. My concern was the Sonoff switch connected to the blanket and that the switch could malfunction.

@namadori You and you alone get to decide if they are “good enough” for connecting to your house. If Sonoff devices don’t seem any better than other remote plugs, then I wouldn’t choose them to control anything in my house either. Look for tested devices that have something other than CE. This image is from the bottom side of a Wemo Mini. And remember, the instant we modify the device, any tested compliance is gone.

The UL symbol is for United Labs a testing facility.

I was also afraid of the electric blanket and so i turn it on only when i’m not in the bed, before i sleep i unplug it from the wall. It’s almost 2 years since i bought it and i can’t live without it anymore, going to sleep with the bed so warm is the best feeling :slight_smile:

1 Like