Sonoff basic stock firmware disable status LED

Hi guys,
I have a sonoff basic with the original firmware it came with, i successfully configured to my wifi network and is working fine using the ewelink app. However i would like to turn off the green status LED since i use it in my bedroom, is it possible? I tried searching in the ewelink app but there is no setting regarding the status led.
Any help is much appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

It may be possible from the console. Have a look at https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-Tasmota/wiki/Commands

I just entered
LedState 0
in the Sonoff http console and it worked. I assume this sticks on restart.
Sleep tight. :wink:

He’s not using Tasmota!

Put tape over it lol

Oops.Read more carefully I guess. Tape it is then.

@capidecallu how are you using this within Homeassistant?

Thank you for all the reply. I’m using it to power on an electric blanket. I just used the ewelink app to set a timer so it will turn on automatically at 11pm, it works fine but that green led is very bright at night :slight_smile:
If i change the firmware can i still use the ewelink app? Otherwise i’ll just put tape on that led.

@capidecallu, I think I would use a better device for turning on an electric blanket. These things do not have any electrical certifications and if you look inside of them, they are not particularly well made. Get something that is tested and approved for this. A very low wattage lamp maybe but not a heating appliance and certainly not in the bedroom. I have 7 of these things but only use them for temperature and humidity probes. I just don’t trust them for more than that.

Thank you for the advice. I’m new to home automation and this is the first device that i bought, i didn’t even know that it’s possible to change the firmware on this thing :slight_smile:
Is there any brand/model that you can recommend?

I don’t know where you live. Electrical certification is different in every country. You need to know how many watts your blanket uses and get something that supports a resistive load of that many watts and is certified in your area of the world. Let us know where you live and I can check to see what certification bodies to look for.

I live in Italy, the blanket is an imetec scaldasonno single and it’s rated for 60w at 230v.
That’s like 0.3 amps, i read that the sonoff is rated for 10 amps max. Is it really that dangerous?

The Sonoff is rated at 10 amps by whom? That’s the point. No one other than Sonoff. You can use if you want. It is after all your life. You can do whatever you want. If you look at the insides of these things, they just aren’t well made. Just a “for reference”, the mains in and out screw terminals don’t have any mechanical attachment to the board, relying just on a solder connection. They come loose quite easily and considering that it can take some effort to push the wires into the terminals that is somewhat easy to have happened. I had to resolder two of mine. In my opinion, it isn’t worth risking your life or your house.

I just wanted to know since i’m not an expert :wink:
Don’t want to risk my life or my house, so i’ll buy something else and use this for powering a led lamp. I agree with you that the sonoff is not well made but i thought it would do the job.

I’m no expert either. You might get by with using one of these. No one can predict how these things or any device for that matter, will work over time. In this case, it is in your bedroom at a time when you won’t be aware of problems and can’t react like you might otherwise. I had a look to see if I could find the testing authorities for Italy. I don’t speak Italian so I am somewhat lost. I don’t know whether there is an EU recognized body or not. Perhaps someone else knows.

Ok, thanks for your help anyways, i really appreciated it!

Good luck.

Sonoffs are genuinely CE certified.

No labels from what I see. Perhaps some devices in some locations and perhaps once upon a time. The basic does not show anything.

Also, once cracked they likely no longer comply with anything.

I find blutack better than tape.

Also just checked and my sonoff basic and sonoff t1 have the CE mark.