Sonoff-HomeAssistant (Alternative firmware for Sonoff Switches for use with mqtt/HA)

Are these devices UL Listed?

Correct. Like I said above if the wall switch is turned on, it overrides HA. Here’s how I use my switches. Because I have motion detection in each room, at sunset all rooms go into auto mode. I never touch a wall switch when I walk into a room. If I am in the room for a long period I either turn the wall switch on OR use my iPhone which has the Home app and turn the room on. I use Homebridge-HomeAssistant. It’s not ideal for sure, but again I automated my home for $300-$400 instead of 1000’s of $$$ because my home although new wasn’t setup for Home Automation and was wired normally.

No I don’t think they are. You take a chance. They are built well though and have plenty of clearances internally for isolation.

With sticking anything in the wall, that’s been my struggle for the last year – how to do it safely. I generally have faith in the build quality of these widely used components(*). Unfortunately, for me it was not a matter of safety so much as insurance. If a fire occurs in the home, even if it has nothing to do with the non-UL listed device, just having a non-UL listed device like that in the wall may nullify the warranty and it could be a half million dollar gamble, which I am not willing to take. Currently my plan is to put some switches in the wall plate, running the wires to the microcontroller which is not behind a wall, but in the closet.

(*) Even so, there were heat issues with adafruit’s huzzah. They said: “Revision history: as of May 15, 2016 we have changed the power supply to run from a 6V DC max rather than 12V. At 12V the power supply would overheat anyways!” Page here

Anyway, did not mean to ramble, but it’s good for people to know the tradeoffs with these devices and the implications for not only safety but for insurance in the event of a problem.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree with you more. I look at it like this though. If you install them correctly and don’t overload them you are going to be pretty safe. They’re built well, they use good quality components and the little tiny switchmode supply they use drops (240V in Australia) to 3.3V and draws negligible current. Plugged in with or without a load there is no heat emitted from them. There’s just not enough current being drawn at 3.3v for them to get hot. I’v seen far worse products that are UL or CE approved. As I said, you take a chance.

Actually I have an idea that might help you to have this sorted out and working as a actual wall switch, just look at the terminals you can add:

with this terminals you can connect to the wall switch ground and Vcc(3.3V) from the ESP8266 GPIO, and leave the MAINS only to Sonoff. I am not sure if this works but i guess it does can you comment on it? This way it would only be about internal logic on the sonnof and whenever you activate the switch it would be like you are pressing the button.

What do you guys think?

if that works … wow so simple :slight_smile:

i do not have any spare Sonoffs (on order) to try this, they are all currently connected up and working …
Do we know the GPIO ?

Note: Currently using Homie for MQTT/HA

Honestly I am not sure what is the GPIO for the button but for sure with some internet research you might find it easily. If you do it, could you gently share your findings as well some pictures on how you achieved it?

The GPIO for the button is 0. If you have a look at the firmware it’s defined in there :smiley:

Hi @KmanOz could you be please so kind and try to make FW for IM160601001 (itead motor switch) I can buy one for you if you want :wink:

What type of functionality do you require from the unit exactly.

All

Received some products today from Sonoff. I started playing with the LED strips. They are not RGB. They have 1 strip of COOL white LEDs and 1 stip of WARM while LEDS. The software that Sonoff supply allow you to set 3 colours, WARM, COOL and a mixture of both. It seems they’ve been designed to replace an overhead fluorescent tube.

Are people interested in these? Personally I would have preferred RGB LEDS. From the specs on their website it seems that they have reserved some IO pins to allow RGB. I am trying to source a schematic of what they’ve built to see if it can be adapted to RGB because even the circuit board silkscreen suggest that it may.

I will try and work with Sonoff to make these work because could be a good cheap controller for LED strips.

Will keep you all updated with my progress.

Kman

2 Likes

Yes, I’m also waiting my LED to arrive. I plan to put one of them on my kitchen under a cabinet, and the other one on my bedroom, over the bed.
I just need the standard cool-warm colours, so I’ll keep on eye on your updates.

Cool

Mine didn’t work using their EWeLink app. They paired OK but do not turn on of off. I thought I would give their app a go before I started tinkering with them. I have a ticket open with iTead and am waiting for their response. Possibly a faulty unit but time will tell. Yep will keep you posted,

Edit: I didn’t receive a necessary shunt plug that needs to be inserted at the end of the the chain of LED strips.

Is there anyone that can help to write a mqtt light component for HA specifically for the iTead LED. Basically we need to emulate the remote control namely EWeLink. We need a nice front end for HA for it to to be a complete solution I feel. It should be easy and we can work together on a protocol (JSON) between HA and the LED controller. If anyone is capable either post a message here or send me a message.

Thanks

Why not use the MQTT light component from HA? Maybe with that and a input_select for light temperature selection…
EDIT: Sorry, just re-read and understood that you first want to play with the non-manipulated sonoff. I don’t know much about programming, but tell if I can help in anything (testing i.e.)

We need to control 3 parameters. Colour (3 options) so a three position switch, brightness (so a slider) and power ON/OFF. I just feel a separate component would make it very easy for anyone to setup. Basically add component. add mqtt topic and everything comes up.

EDIT: I just saw MQTT Light component. I will play with it tomorrow and see. Yes it might be possible with just that.

For the colour temp the color_temp_command_topic can be used.

Did you finally tested the mqtt light component? Just received my LEDs, will try one this weekend with their app, but honestly, I would like HA integration if posible :wink:

No I didn’t have a chance. I will over the weekend.