Sonoff-HomeAssistant (Alternative firmware for Sonoff Switches for use with mqtt/HA)

my point was also, that the thread is so long, that some might loose the overview on what is implemented in the code and was is not. :slight_smile:

btw, @mudman how does you network handle 20 sonoff + all the other stuff you got around your home? does it cause any trouble?

thank you the good work…

I think you’ll find if you read the contents of the Github page, it’s pretty self explanatory. I’v tried to make that page easy to follow and easy to understand. It does need a little work I admit but in general it should answer most questions. In fact half of the questions answered here are because people don’t bother reading there :smiley:

As for 20+ Sonoff’s mqtt is a lightweight protocol. You could have hundreds on your LAN without an issue. I have 20+ as well, and I know a few others that do also.

My automation network consists of 40 sonoffs, 35+ MQTT sensors that monitor doors, windows, temp, humidity, water use age, bonsai soil moisture, light levels. Other items for auto watering bonsai and plants, fish tank monitoring and water changes. IP cameras on the doors for making Skype calls when door bell is pressed if I am not in allowing me to open a secure box for parcels ect. Remote start on vehicles so they can defrost windows if outside temp is low.

The network in the house has 6 computers on 24/7 LAN, 8 phones / tablets. And 2 printers

The network handles this very well with no noticeable slowdown

:fearful: :fearful:

I guess you’re not using a standard router to handle so much device, or?

No I have a computer set up as the DHCP server. And use 4 routers as access points only to form a roaming network to get good WiFi access everywhere

oO quite a big installation ^^ Do you have any idea how much power your consuming while everything is on standby?
I’m not sure how much all those sonoff/smart bulb/… cost, as they are always plugged/connected.

What are you using for the mqtt sensors for the doors and windows?

I am using just cheap magnetic sensors like these

Linked to a wemos mini for most of the door sensors. I have just pulled off the door facings and his the wires behind them. The windows are just about the same

That sounds perfect. I’m now looking at different mini’s. Do you have any good links to project pages that show the required components and wiring for a simple IO like your door sensors?
Are you using batteries or wired for power?
Thanks.

Something like this? Mailbox notifier

Yes something like except that they report ihe status via mqtt, I am using old mobile phone chargers as power supplys for the wemos units. Some are still plunged into wall scokets wile others have been cannibalised for there parts and built in to project boxes and such

Fantastic. I’m thinking adding PIR and other sensors as well. Just ordered one. How do you accomplish the water usage monitoring?

I am using flow meters like these

They are nice and cheep and readily available on eBay and lots of other places

1 Like

All

Has anyone successfully updated an ESP OTA before. If you are interested and are familiar with the process (so I don’t have to teach you LOL) I have some code I’d like you to test for the standard Sonoff & Sonoff TH series. Just PM me and I will discuss with you.

If OTA is reliable, because of everything I read and some of the issues people have it seems like it isn’t then I am happy to let people get their hands on it. I just don’t want to answer a million questions for something that seems flaky to start with.

Thanks

Thanks

I want to test the codes. Thanks for sharing the project.
I also have a question:

Can input the SSID and password after flash the firmware? In fact, people have different wifi ssid and password.

Hi, I m a newbie at this stuff , but I will like to try KmanOz repo.
I m using windows 8 , where skall I begin arduido ide setup first ?

Sorry for this stupid question, but i m new to this.
Thanks

ready to test for you!:slight_smile:

The last 3 people that answered. Have you had experience with OTA update before. Do you have a stable network environment where you are doing this right now?

never tried OTA from sonoff, yes very stable network no issue on your code after i sucessfully upload your firmware.and OTA will be better when changing my router