Sonoff Mini in UK - Switched Live?

Do you just put the loop out in the same as live and neutral as getting confused as where the loop would go i havent taken the rose down or anything yet just asking

Yes, look at the wiring diagram for a standard UK celling rose:

Hi - I have just bought a couple of Sonoff Minis (also in UK) and they seem to work fine.

I see mrrodge and others have been using them for some time. Are you happy with them?

My query is just about safety - they are such cheap and small units I just hope their circuits have suitable track clearances for 240V and that the relays are good quality. I want to use them for switching towel rails - which should be well within power spec - but the units will be hidden inside junction boxes.

Fire risks if they fail? Not from my wiring (my risk) but from the units. Obv I will ensure the supply side is fused.

Appreciate any warnings or reassurance!

1 Like

Seen multiple debates on the quality/safety of them, I don’t really have a problem. They don’t seem to run hot anywhere (I don’t get anywhere near their max loads, just run LED lighting) and I now have 14 of them around my home. Not a single failure, run rock solid with ESPHome and are truly set and forget. For the price they’re amazing. Why not stress test one? Run the towel rail under full load for as long as you can and see if the Sonoff gets hot.

1 Like

Hey I can’t access the celling rose as it’s 10ft high but the light switch is in reach, it has a red , black and neutral goin out to the light, is there a creative way of getting this working? I wired it up and when the fancy switch is off the sonoff is off, when the fancy switch is on it has to wait for the sonoff to come back to life, not ideal

Good idea! Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

I did run them for a few days on trial and as you say no heat, but I stupidly ran them at a fairly low wattage. I have installed a couple - one has easy access but the other is now in a wall void, so glad to hear you have not had any problems. Fingers crossed! One operates a towel rail the other a small circulation pump.

I will order a couple more and do a proper stress test as you suggested.

Just for anyone else looking at this and wondering if they can use the mini’s with UK hallway/landing lighting, it’s a no go for me. My landing light gets it’s live from the switch and I can’t run cables as there’s no conduit to be seen.

Hi all, just made a big mistake and wired a mini into ceiling rose I must have live going from or to my switch one dead Sonoff mini. So ive attached a couple of photos. Is there no way of making this work with what I have if anyone could help I would be grateful.

I should clarify the switch for the light in question is on the right the other one is part of a two way circuit and intact on a different circuit anyway. Thanks