Sonoff mini or shelly 1

Hi there before I go and purchase either a sonoff mini or shelly 1 can someone please advise which of them is better suited for UK wiring. I’ve seen video of a shelly 1 being installed in a ceiling rose but I want to put mine behind the light switch if there is enough room. If so are there any diagrams on how to do this.

Try their Shelly Support Facebook group. They answer very quickly over there to all kinds of wiring questions.

I have several of Shelly2.5s behind my roller shutter switches, one was really tight because of all the wiring but usually there should be more than enough room to fit a shelly behind a switch in the wall.

Have you had a look at the wiring behind the switch? Most UK wiring isn’t set up for smart devices behind the switch.

If you only have two wires at the switch, a Sonoff Mini isn’t an option, but a Shelly 1L with bypass resistor is.

My advice would be to install either a Sonoff Mini, or a Shelly 1, whether the live and neutral are, which is usually in the rose, in UK wiring.

I’ve 3D printed spacers to sit a Sonoff Mini behind the standard rose, for the downstairs lights. This works reasonably well. For the upstairs lights, I’ve mounted the Mini in a one gang surface mount box, in the loft.

Luke

@LukeC_UK I hope that you realize you’re replying to a 19 month old post :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I’m sure a solution was found.

Yup, I realise now… :laughing:

I’m new to the forum, and was trying to contribute, having received some help today. I should look at dates more carefully…

1 Like