Sonoff NSpanel - powered by USB?

Hi Peeps,

Firstly thank you to @jobraun for all his wonderful work with this https://docs.nspanel.pky.eu/ It has saved me hours and his solution just works.

Question is …

I don’t want to power the NSpanel off the mains electricity.

I’d like to power it via a USB cable and put it in a case like this. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5078454/files

There is a connector at the back of the NSpanel

Does anyone know how to get a USB cable to this connector to power it up ?

Any advice / suggestions would be awesome !!!

All the best

Jason

There is a teardown here Sonoff NSPanel EU Switch in Detail | Blakadder's Smarthome Shenanigans

Perfect - thanks Nick !!

Got it working with this cable

Really appreciate the pointer !

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B08761Z5K9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am looking at one of those cables on my desk right now, they are handy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do the buttons work when powered over USB?

I don’t want to hard wire it so won’t need the relay, but wondering if the buttons can be programmed to turn on a zigbee or wifi bulb or plug.

Can NSPanel be wired with Raspberry Pi by this USB cable and either get power & send/receive data? Wireless interface cannot be used in my scenario.

Power, probably yes but not data. The raspberry pi 4 can do 1.2 amps (roughly 144 watts) over all four ports. so might depend on what else you have plugged in.

With that said it’s only flashed using a USB to TTL adapter for the initial flash. After it’s hooked up to ESPHome it connects wirelessly to your. HA server so it wouldn’t be able to communicate over the TX/RX ports but can still get powered with the 5V and ground wires from the USB to TTL adapter. At least not in anyway I’m aware of as these adapters are typically only used to flash ESP32 or ESP8226 (or whatever the non BT, wifi only varient is named).

Unless you mean just flashing and not controlling through the adapter although I would personally get a slightly better USB to TTL adapter for.flashing with this cable just for power if that’s the case. Better ones out there with jumpers to switch between 3V and 5V and according to the video it needs to be flashed with 3 volts and this TTL USB adapter only has a 5 volt output. Raspberry pi would still need possibly only this plugged in for power, not an electrician but have powered some Pi’s in the past with not enough watts and they ran but SD cards lastest 2 months because of it.

Here is a good video on the flashing process and he shows just powering it using just those 2 cables as it has to be flashed with 3v, at least according to the video. The flashing process is at the 3 minute mark. The video references the same diagram in the solution.

Jump to the 12m 40s mark The 5V and GND wires just seem like a convenient way to power it because even Sonoff came out with an official dock but from what I can tell they have zero documentation on how to power the the NSpanel with the supported doc (or NSPanel pro) or any included cabling. Just the 3D printed shell like in the original link but uglier, at least IMO.

This cable is just more convenient for power only because no USB to TTL adapter in-between the USB port and panel. You just don’t hook up any of the data pins which could easily be hidden in the dock for those like me who don’t want it hooked to a wall socket.

1 Like

FYI, I had some issues with the USB TTL adapter coming loose so I ordered some 22AAWG 2 wire cable and a replacement 2 prong power adapter and this solution works much better as the wire is screwed in securely Into the hot and neutral inputs which can be screwed down very tightly. I’ve been running it for over a week with your issues in the unit does not get hot at all or has caused any issues like random reboots or freezing.

Just make sure to hooke the hot wire to the hot power input. In the US it’s the shorter one. There were some disagreements about whether this mattered. In retrospect it may have been better to order a 3 prong adapter even though the ground wire isn’t used because it can’t be hooked up wrong unless you get the wiring backwards on the adapter.

I have some 12AWG wire I am going to use. Originally I ordered the 22 because the max current was 5.5 watts but I don’t believe that will matter but if it causes any issues I will report back.

anyway, maybe someone knows the exact name of this connector so that something like this can be ordered (you should know the exact dimensions of 1.25 or 1.5 mm, it is problematic to specify exactly) PITCH 2x4 female with wires
8p

Have you got a nspanel? You could measure it.