Sonoff NSPanel Pro (Android-based) in-wall 4-inch smart display with touch screen by ITead available for pre-order

I did check to see if I could get a shell on the USB port over ADB and indeed you can. It is running Android 8.1 but I couldn’t get fastboot to detect it to see if the bootloader was locked. But given the hardware and software, it probably isn’t worth the battle given all the the other tablet options out there.

I thought the initial one was pretty bad but they definitely figured out how to make it worse. Right up there with Slim Cam product they released. Horrible.

2 Likes

I find the price a little lot to high… US$ 150.-!!! I can get three cheap Amazon FireTablets for this, and have way better support for nearly all the things I want to do with it.

Even if I only need a small monitor, I can always work with a Nextion or Waveshare display, for half the cost (including a Pi or ESP), but having a tested and workable solution.

For me, it’s totally going against the expected target group. If I want something Android, I can get cheap tablets, that do the job without problems (and an Android version that is not out-of-date). If I want Pi or ESP, there are already hundreds of displays out there to get the job done.

If I don’t care about all of that, it’s missing the key points: connectivity to existing systems like HA.

So why would one like to buy an outdated, small and overpriced Android based monitor?

Sorry, can’t see the advantages against the “normal” NSPanel. Which I find very cool and hope to get my hands on one in the near future (fingers crossed). :slight_smile:

1 Like

now down to $89.90 and with the new work from Blackadder, this seems to be a far more viable option…order placed and awaiting a nice package soon

Could you elaborate more on the work from Blackadder? Also, have you received it? If so, what are your thoughts?

FYI, community member Blakadder is tinkering with the Sonoff NSPanel Pro and he has ongoing documents the internal workings as he comes along so he continuously updates his webpage and YouTube videos about his findings and hacking progress, with the most recent updates being ADB access (i.e. rooted/unlocked) which among other things adds the option for sideload/sideloading support for loading custom Android apps and also to update WebView and more on the Sonoff NSPanel Pro.

Tip is follow Blakadder’s blog and check for updates as has had access to one for a while and looks like he keeps documenting updates on hacking it there:

https://blakadder.com

https://blakadder.com/android-panel-proximity/

Missed that Tuya apparently now makes an Android-based 4-inch control panel called “T6E” which looks almost identical to Sonoff NSPanel Pro by ITead, so have started a separate topic for that, but have to say that it looks so very similar that suspect that ITead’s Sonoff NSPanel Pro is a Tuya T6E?

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/tuya-t6e-4-inch-control-panel-for-ccs-central-control-system-android-based-in-wall-4-inch-smart-display-with-touch-screen-now-sold-under-many-different-brands/473366

Very interesting progress is that Blakadder has now managed to run a full Zigbee2MQTT instance natively directly on a similar T6E panel for running Z2M as a stand-alone Zigbee gateway on a T6E based panel → Run Zigbee2MQTT on T6E Android Smart Home Panels | Blakadder's Smarthome Shenanigans

Note that it looks like he had to first manually reflash the Silicon Labs EFR32 Zigbee chip with another firmware image (using a USB Serial Flasher / USB to TTL Programmer) in order to make the Zigbee Coordinator compatible with Z2M’s EZSP adapter, which is something that is listed as experimental (or “beta” stage) for Zigbee2MQTT as support for Silabs EZSP adapter code is still in the relatively early development in the zigbee-herdsman libary that it depends on, (and is in need of additional testers and developers before it will become more mature), see → https://github.com/Koenkk/zigbee-herdsman/issues/319

Sorry if it’s a silly question, but what’s the point running z2m on such devices? It’s not meant to run home assistant generally, and having just z2m running makes 0 sense. What needs to be done - layout building wrapper android app(there’s even existing tools to make templates via JSON json_dynamic_widget | Flutter Package) which allows to have side loaded app to be running in kiosk mode(with proximity sensor fully working) and render out any templates/info

1 Like

I have the HA companion app side loaded. Is there any way to get notifications to pop-up? or some other way to get messages to display on the panel. In particular, I am trying to get Frigate camera detections to show. Ideally showing the image of what was detected.

1 Like

I think I may have destroyed my NSPanel Pro while trying to install Homeassistant :X… My device only starts in factory mode where only Chinese characters are displayed. With Google Lens, I was able to translate it and at least restart the EWELink app on the device. However, the device no longer receives a QR code to add it to the app on my phone.
When I try to reset the device with the 5 reboots, as described by Blakadder, it does not start a factory reset but goes to the Android recovery menu where I can navigate with the button on the PCB, but cannot select anything (a power button is needed for this). Does anyone have any ideas?

1 Like

Hi,

You can navigate with the boot button on the pcb. Long press boot button should emulate select but it depends on your recovery firmware. What version was on the board? Can you explain what did you do exaclty?

Btw, I could reflash the board but it needs physical connection and I assume that we are not in the same country :frowning:

1 Like

Another device, which is interesting: ESP32- 3.5 Inch 480x320 TFT Capacitive Touch Display(RGB) with Chip ILI9488

1 Like

Someone know if it’s possible to turn on the display of the panel (connected with home assistant) based on an event? So, if in home assistant i get an error on some sensor, turn on the backlight of the LCD to bring attention to the problem?
Thanks!

—EDIT—
Maybe i’ve found a way using androidtv integration, that send adb commands, and the command to power on the display is androidtv.adb_command parameter: POWER

I still have a problem, my panel don’t do nothing sending the keyevent 3 shell command…

1 Like

you can use browser_mod on hacs, works well

I’m looking for a small display that doesn’t even have to be touchscreen.
All it has to do is to display 3 different temperatures, time and date and has to turn the screen off at night and turn back on in the morning.
From scale of 1-10 (skill level in home assistant), how hard would it be to set it up?
I like the neatness of this panel, can build it in the wall like this

Hi Siemens,
I am facing precisely the same issue. Were you able to fix it ?

Thanks,
Mario.

Hi, after long press the boot button, the highlight will become green color, but how to execute? Once I release the boot button, the highlight will jump to next selection. would like to downgrade from v1.7 to v1.5, I have the firmware file & OTG USB flash drive as well. I believe select the “apply update form USB card” & the firmware file need to put on OTG USB drive. I not sure what file name should put on firmware file.

I solved the problem by not downgrading the v1.7. I use the method below

When the Nspanel is started and you press the “Windows”+“N” key on the keyboard, you get see the Quick Settings display. Here you can access the settings. There you can activate the USB in the developer options. Now the launcher.apk can be installed via adb.

In this way, I can acess the panel using adb command again.

Im looking to get some NSPanel Pros and wondering if they are still the best thing to buy, ie is there now somerthing better out there?

any idea how to power the NSPanelPro via POE? the place where I want to install them I have an ethernet cable but no other power