Sonoff Reliability?

I’ve been using a couple of sonoff basics for a few weeks now, they’re flashed with tasmota. One became unresponsive yesterday and in trying to get it up and working again the other decided to go offline too.

I have one in my boiler and one inside a bathroom mirror to control the light with a PIR. Bathroom mirror was stuck on yesterday and the sonoff was unreachable although it did have an IP address (according to my router), I reset the lighting circuit hoping a reboot might fix it but no luck, thought I’d reboot the router incase it was a network issue and the sonoff in the boiler became unreachable too, rebooting the sonoff in the boiler afterwards didn’t help. Both were now on and connected to the network but couldn’t be controlled by MQTT and the web interfaces were inaccessible. Both these sonoffs are awkward to access. The only way to get them back was to hold down the button for 4 seconds so they’d reset to defaults.

Now I’m a bit concerned this will happen again, I obviously now know how to bring them to life if it does but taking my boiler and bathroom mirror to bits isn’t really something I want to do regularly.

Have these been reliable for everyone else?

I’d say they are generally reliable.

I have 4 in operation now flashed with firmware from user KmanOz (2 in a permanent location using a connected wall switch and 2 as extension cords) and they work pretty well now. Had a little issue in the beginning with using a wall switch with them but that’s now sorted out. I still have issues occasionally if the wifi goes down. But the units themselves are pretty reliable.

Thanks, I’m not sure what caused my issues, they’re both running the same version of tasmota so I guess I’ll update them to the latest and disable anything unnecessary in the config and cross my fingers. I like the way tasmota works so I’d like to keep it if possible but I’ll definitely look into KmanOz’s firmware if it happens again.

Hi. I have been using quite a number of Sonoffs in all kind of shapes and sizes including the cameras. Most of it fully integrated in HA. I am very fond of these TH models which measure temps en humidities. And none of them have ever failed me. For that price I am very happy. I have build a full automation and monitoring system for my pool with a couple of these things. Amazing. Really. I think my oldest ones run for over a year now with on and offs a couple of times per day and not a single issue.

Picture of my pool dashboard.

Btw I run them all on OEM firmware. No flashing and no mods. That includes the garage door opener which is a 5V pulse generator.