Sonoff S55 with ESPHome?

I ordered an Sonoff S55 to use for switching outdoors.

Recently i flashed a Sonoff S20 with ESPHome, but that was based on a guide from the ESPHome website. So i’m quite new to using ESPHome. But from what i understand from the site is that most Sonoffs will work. So could i use the same code (without the led control part) like this for the S55:

esphome:
  name: <NAME_OF_NODE>
  platform: ESP8266
  board: esp01_1m

wifi:
  ssid: <YOUR_SSID>
  password: <YOUR_PASSWORD>

api:

logger:

ota:

binary_sensor:
  - platform: gpio
    pin:
      number: GPIO0
      mode: INPUT_PULLUP
      inverted: True
    name: "Sonoff S20 Button"
  - platform: status
    name: "Sonoff S20 Status"

switch:
    name: "Sonoff S20 Relay"
    pin: GPIO12

I found here that this works with a template in tasmota. But i’m hoping to use it with ESPHome as this is where i already have a few devices connected.

I don’t have any of these but reading the tasmota template you have linked
the code you have posted has the correct pins, which is the same as a sonoff basic

I don’t know if there’s a LED on them or not but the tasmota template has one defined on GPIO13 (again the same as a sonoff basic)

Also I have a S20 thats using exactly the same config as a sonoff basic. So your S20 config should work with these S55’s

1 Like

Ok thanks for your confirmation. I will check if there is a LED on it when i receive it.

I received my S55 and there is a blue led on them. I got everything working fine with this esphome config:

esphome:
  name: sonoffs55

wifi:
  ssid: !secret wifi_ssid
  password: !secret wifi_password

api:

logger:

ota:

binary_sensor:
    pin:
    name: "Sonoff S55 Button"
  - platform: status
    name: "Sonoff S55 Status"

switch:
    name: "Sonoff S55 Relay"

output:
  # Register the blue LED as a dimmable output ....
  - platform: esp8266_pwm
    id: s55_blue_led
    pin:
      number: GPIO13

light:
  # ... and then make a light out of it.
  - platform: monochromatic
    name: "Sonoff S55 Blue LED"
    output: s55_blue_led
2 Likes

I got this working here too, piece of cake, I found the following template worked best for me:

esphome:
  name: sonoff_s55

wifi:
  ssid: !secret wifi_ssid
  password: !secret wifi_password
  ap:
    ssid: "Sonoff S55 Fallback Hotspot"
    password: "12345678"

captive_portal:

api:

logger:

ota:

binary_sensor:
    pin:
      inverted: true
    name: "Sonoff S55 Button"
    on_press:
      - switch.toggle: relay1

switch:
    name: "Sonoff S55 Relay"
    id: relay1

status_led:
  pin:
    number: GPIO13
    inverted: true

Hey guys! Sorry for the dumb question…

Did you have to flash the socket, any way - by flashing I mean, if the hardware needed any interaction - or you only had to use this code in the configuration?

I’m a bit affraid of these tasmota sockets, because earlier they needed hardware modifications. :confused:

This is a Sonoff device. You can use it with HA without modifying it or you can solder pins onto its board to install an alternative firmware (ESPHome or Tasmota for example)

I’m actually looking into buying a S55… But never used sonoff and I see a lot of different types of guides on how to get it in Home Assistant. Even some mentions of devices no longer being able to be flashed.

What would be the current way of doing this? ( adding the S55 to Home Assistant I mean )

You might want to post some links to those mentions then… otherwise it’s just hearsay :man_shrugging:

Little search didn’t gave the tiniest clue that there is anything other than an esp inside. So just flash it with esphome and win :star2:

1 Like

Thx for the help! I tried searching and found some older samples of people flashing it ( older as in several years ), but was unsure the hardware changed or not.

In regards to the links, I do have to say I did not keep track of those while searching, could be it’s from people who rather struggled with the ‘how to’ on flashing than actually the hardware not being able to be flashed.

1 Like