SONOFF SNZB-02 with sonoff zigbee bridge

Hi everyone. I have a question about a sonoff device. I want to integrate the sonoff SONOFF SNZB-02 to my system but I want to know if I need to have the sonoff zigbee bridge or is it only for those who do not use home assistant.

Thank you

The SNZB-02 is a Zigbee wireless end device so you need some kind of USB gatweay device (or “coordinator”) to connect this and other Zigbee devices to your Home Assisant. You do not need to use the Sonoff Zigbee Bridge and a common budget option is the CC2531 for around $5 but make sure you get the “pre-flashed” version.

The full list and compatability information is available here:

Thanks for answering. Does the usb dongle have to be connected to the raspberry so that it can communicate with the end devices?
Yeah that’s right. How do I get the data? From each device or I have to order them from the dongle. Sorry but never use this system.

Yes.

The RPi has Wifi built in but on the early versions I don’t think this was the case and and you had to plug in a WiFi dongle to a spare USB port. Zigbee is similar to how it used to be with WiFi, because the Zigbee protocol is not built into the board then you need a USB dongle to act as the gateway for the Zigbee network as it is a different protocol to WiFi.

The following is my ZHA network visualisation in Home Assistant and you can see the CC2531 Coordinator (i.e. the USB stick) which communicates with all the other devices over the Zigbee mesh network.

I hope that helps explain the setup for you.

Excellent. Thank you very much for the help