Sonoff / Tasmota started regularly showing "Unavailable" on Home Assistant

I have flashed a couple of my sonoffs as well which had the same issue with the new 6.4.1.21 with core 2.3.0, so far stable, fingers crossed. Thanks David for the update

1 Like

I’m on ESPHome now with native HA support; no more mqtt dependency anymore.
I don’t think I’ll return back to Tasmota.

I have flashed a few sonoff basics with the following build (2.5.0 core), and they’ve been rock solid for the whole day so far.

{"StatusFWR":{"Version":"6.4.1.21(6c69b8d-sonoff)","BuildDateTime":"2019-03-11T20:01:47","Boot":6,"Core":"2_5_0","SDK":"3.0.0-dev(c0f7b44)"}}

Yeah, SetOption19 is broken in the current stable release. I managed to get one of my S31s to accept it, and it worked for a while and then started showing “unavailable”. The other three S31s I have I couldn’t even get to accept SetOption19 at all - giving the command caused the Sonoff to reboot without setting the option.

Switching to the development build resolved the SetOption19 issue (it was fixed in 6.4.1.11) - I could set it just fine. Updating the first one to the development build resoved the “unavailable” issue.

Same here!! I have converted all my mqtt sonoff touch to esphome… so far so good… and conection are perfect … tasmota was good but dint know what happen that all my tasmota sonoff was unavailable frequently.

As a followup after 24 hours…

That’s right… my 2 worst switches on 2.5.0 core had ZERO dropouts! Despite my using a FritzBox and Mesh Network (both of which 2.3.0 is supposed to not like)

If only core 2.5.0 had that stability.

I looked at doing this as well. I couldn’t find or work out a YAML that mimiced my Tasmota setup with the LED’s and had issues with 2 Sonoff SV’s that pulse on for 2 seconds and turn off again…

I don’t think Tasmota realise the damage shipping 6.4.1 with 2.4.2 core did to their brand and reputation!

Had this very same problem of all the Sonoffs becoming unavailable every now and then after upgrading to default 6.4.1.21 firmware which was based on 2.4.2 core. It was a real headache.

Just updated to 6.4.1.22 with core 2.3.0 from here:
http://thehackbox.org/tasmota/020300/

Hrere’s the OTA URL:
http://thehackbox.org/tasmota/020300/sonoff.bin

Works like a charm… Really stable!

1 Like

I’ve been asleep at the wheel, seems like great news on this thread! Looks like I can lose all those curl requests and REST nonsense and go back to a nice clean MQTT auto-discovery setup. Well done David and all.

Can I just confirm, from all this, what should I flash to my Sonoffs in terms of Core and Firmware, if i got it right I go for.

6.4.1.22 with core 2.3.0 <— have I understood correctly, this is basically latest version with older (fixed) core?

http://thehackbox.org/tasmota/020300/

As described above, thanks.

I have mainly Sonoff basics, love the little things, very handy indeed and the price is of course great.

Did see the ESPHOME references but not sure if i want to go that route.

btw - I always flash minimal first, this has worked fine in the past, do I need to do that?

Looking forward to sweet stability, have a couple more basics to deploy also!

You have it right and need to flash minimal first… Tasmota Support came through.

Re-flashed all my Sonoff with:

Program Version 6.4.1.21(2959ec9-sonoff)
Build Date & Time 2019-03-14T18:02:05
Core/SDK Version 2_4_2/2.2.1(cfd48f3)

All good, stable.

should i go for 2.4.2 core or 2.3.0 ?

2.3.0 is the way to go… Go for it.

2.3 if you want a stable system

Yep 2.3.0 looking rock solid my end.

Just like to share my experience of problem discovery and hope this saves someone else some pain…
But after downgrading software continue to have a problem with one of my sonoff devices configured as a Arilux LC01 (37) with a RGB LED string approx 2 meters long for the best part it worked fine, but intermitantly unavailable would will still pop up! :angry:

Was only after by chance having the LED string disconnected it worked perfectly, problem ended up being the ebay purchased RGB LED string somewhere along the length of the string must have a bad track that would intermittantly short out causing the sonoff to reboot. The cheap RGB led strip is now found a new home in my bin!

Just FWIW, Next version of Tasmota is 6.5.0 and guess which core is the default in that one? Yes you guessed it. They have gone back to 2.3.0 core for that release. It hasn’t been released yet but there have not been any 6.4.1.x updates for a few days so my guess is very soon…

very interesting. So I’ve done the flashing (quite pleased with myself flashing all my light switches OTA via ssh tunnel from the train home)!

rock solid and now HA is autodetecting the things (option19 i believe) and to boot all this extra status info has shown up!

quite nice.

screenshot attached

Bingo!

Might dip my toe back into discovery mode but one question, setting options ie “SetOption19 1” does it stick on the device even after the device is repowered?

Yes. SetOption19 On is persistent. Make sure the integration is configured for discovery as well. (It’s a checkbox when you add the broker). If you have to, remove the integration, restart HA, add the integration and restart again and you’ll be good to go.

1 Like

Thanks David,

Suspected as much.