Sonoff Touch Smart Switch T0US3C

Most of the videos and tutorials and forum discussions are now outdated. This took many hours to discover, so I felt obliged to share here.

This is the hardware and steps to Tasmota-fy the Sonoff Touch Smart Switch, T0 (no RF), US (Canada), 3C (3 gang / 3 relay).

It’s become increasingly difficult to find smart switches that still have ESP and aren’t locked out from writing Tasmota. There is a process for the Beken SoC, but it was a bit daunting, and I already know Tasmota.

Blakadder suggests that GPIO0 is found on R19 (v1) or R18 (v2). The current boards inside the switch are v2.0.1, and GPIO0 is not found on either side of both of these Rs.

Another thread suggested using TP1, and this is the correct location to easily access GPIO0 to boot into flash mode.

My first FTDI adapter just threw errors constantly, and this held back progress, but when I swapped it out for an older FTDI dongle, success was immediate.

I simply used the web installer at https://tasmota.github.com/install

I don’t have a 3D printer, so I had to modify a 3 gang wall plate by cutting out the bits which impeded the box of the switch from passing through. Fill in the void with those blank panels.

(I may try to use two blank 1 gang well-placed and cut the edges down. I don’t love the look of the modified plate and the fillers.)

The price of the 3C is only $2 more than a 1C, so even if there is just a single light to switch in the box, it’s best to spend the $2 extra to get two more switches. (These can be disassociated from the relay, and used as a switch to do other automations.)

2 Likes

Hey Lewis,

thanks so much for your post here!
I ordered a T0US2C and was about to search through the internet to find a way to flash it with tasmota.
Your HowTo was very helpful!
Sadly that I did not read your advice for ordering a 3 way switch…
After you mentioned it here I am already very annoyed. It is so obvious and simple.

The only thing I haven’t yet figured out is how to successfully disassociate the button from the relay, programmatically, so that the button operates independently of the relay.

Reason: use button to do something else, and not use the relay.

For now, it’s not a big deal, just a clicking noise in the wall box.

I did discover that the single wallbox in my home is slightly tapered and the Sonoff didn’t quite fit… had to get a wallbox extender to get enough space. Looks alright.

SetOption73 1

This decouples the buttons from the relays.

Then individually write rules to re-associate buttons to relays.

Example:

Button1 & Relay1 (hard wired to ceiling light)

ON button1#state=10 DO power1 toggle ENDON

Button2 is used to send mqtt to device group of lamps

ON button2#state=10 DO cmnd/lamps/power toggle ENDON

States:
10 single press
11 double press
12 triple press, etc.

I haven’t examined long press / hold …yet…

1 Like

Hi Lewis. I don’t use home assistant, but I just created an account here to thank you.

I just bought a T0US2C and wasted the best part of yesterday afternoon trying to flash Tasmota to it. Obviously the gpio0 at r19 didn’t work and after another while searching I found the post saying it’s r18. No luck there either. I gave up for the day after about 5 hours trying various methods including sonota. I found your post here just before bedtime and have now tried using TP1. It worked immediately!

So, thank you very, very much.

1 Like

Chaona:

Thank you for the kind words.

Good to read that my struggle (and documentation) was not in vain!

Your day sounds just like mine was, doing the same thing.

I discovered the GPIO / TP correlation partly in a sleepless dream state while remembering a different post I read somewhere else for some other Sonoff device.

All the best in your future automations.