Sonoff ZBDongle-E + MultiPAN Firmware + NAT64

I’ve got a bit of a headache here and I’m hoping someone can help me. I got my Nuki Smart Lock Pro 4th Gen yesterday, which supports Thread/Matter. I got it set up with my Nest Hub Max pretty easily, which my Home Assistant had configured as a border router. I soon learned that the Matter implementation was not quite adequate (it doesn’t show current door state), but the Nuki, amazingly supports MQTT and even supports it over Thread. I’d like to use it that way for optimal battery life.

After a lot of head scratching and Googling, I discovered the Nest Hub Max does not support NAT64 for Thread, so MQTT is not available in the Nuki app unless I connect it to WiFi. So, I set about flashing my ZBDongle-E with the MultiPAN firmware which, apparently, does support NAT64. After more hours of head scratching, configuration and Googling, I have a merged Thread network with Silicon Labs Multiprotocol and Google Nest Hub Max as border routers and I still don’t seem to have NAT64 support.

Does anyone know how to get NAT64 working with Silicon Labs Multiprotocol?

There is no NAT64 support in the Silicon Labs Multiprotocol add-on currently. Just flash your dongle to the Openthread RCP firmware and buy a second dongle for Ziggbee support. That’s how I got it working. Yes it cost more money but will save you a lot of headache. Or you could buy a Homepod mini which has NAT64 support, but you’d need an iPhone or iPad to set it up.

1 Like

Thanks.

I’m not desperate for NAT64 right now (I’m just going to use the more battery intensive WiFi), so I’m going to ask for support on the Silicon Labs Multiprotocol plugin and/or hope Google adds it to the Nest Hub at some point. If someone had a straightforward solution, that would have been fine but I can live with things how they are for the time being.