SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle device name changed

I am currently running Home Assistant OS 10.5 and having issues with a SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus V2 for ZHA.

After a reboot, ZHA suddenly stopped working and I found that the device gets detected with a different name and thus ZHA will not start correctly.

ZHA is attempting to use:
/dev/serial/by-id/usb-ITEAD_SONOFF_Zigbee_3.0_USB_Dongle_Plus_V2_20220712202427-if00

but now the USB device is detected as:
/dev/serial/by-id/usb-1a86_USB_Single_Serial_54DD001484-if00

I attempted to create a copy of the new symbolic link referencing the old name, however I get a “Read-only file system” error and cannot seem to chmod my way out of it.

I have attempted changing USB ports, and also restoring to previous HA backups but no luck with that either.

If I give up on attempting to it to use the original name, where can I find the configuration that ZHA uses to give it the new name?

Thanks.

Still unclear on why it suddenly changed, but I gave up and found the ZHA configuration located in /config/.storage/core.config_entries

After changing the path to the new name and testing again after reboot it is working fine.

Sounds like it might be an OS bug so suggest reporting that problem symptom as a new issue to Home Assistant Operating System → https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/issues (if asked for ZHA debug logs see → https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zha#reporting-issues)

You should not have to do that as the serial by-id should not have changed for the adapter, thus good if you could report it as an issue to Home Assistant OS issues tracker on GitHub if other also get same.

1 Like

Ah thank you for pointing out the file it was stored in. Mine changed from ttyUSB0 to ttyUSB1 when I changed from plugging the dongle directly into my Synology DS224+ to using a USB hub to plug the dongle into.

I couldn’t figure out how to update Home Assistant, and I was afraid recreating the integration would lose all my devices but editing that file worked. (Be sure to backup your config! I accidentally messed it up and btrfs snapshots saved my butt).