SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus Gateway and S31 Lite - Can't discover device

Hello!

I have a RPi 3b+ running HA 2022.9.2 from a container, using the homeassistant/home-assistant docker image. Using docker compose I’ve mounted the USB dongle to the container. In HA I was able to easily add the ‘Zigbee Home Automation’ integration. The device is seen and connected to as a coordinator. Everything about this install was awesome and gave no trouble (I’ve done it a few times now).

I am now trying to add an S31 Lite to the coordinator. HA starts discovery mode (" Searching for Zigbee devices…"), and I put the S31 into pairing mode by holding the power button and waiting for the fast blinking on the device.

Nothing ever happens. HA times out with nothing discovered. The S31 drops back into non-pairing. I’ve done this loop with various iterations of configurations. Moved locations. Changed WiFi channels. Changed USB cables.

I’ll be the first to admit I’m not super familiar with Zigbee and how it’s supposed to function. But I’m not getting much feedback from HA or the devices, so I’m looking for a thread to pull on.

I’m not sure which firmware you are running on that dongle, but there was an issue with several versions that prohibited joining as I remember. I doubt the dongle SHIPPED with such a version (although I could be wrong). But it might have or maybe you updated it with a bad version?

The good folks here can help you find out which firmware version you have and if that might be the problem.

Honestly, this wouldn’t be my first guess but I thought I’d mention it.

Unfortunately, an update to build 20220219 (coordinator) did not change anything. The unit was shipped with 20210708.

Flashed the Sonoff using a Windows machine and Texas Instruments Flash Programmer 2, per Sonoff instructions. No issues - aside from having to dissemble the unit to get to the bootloader push-button. Re-installed the usb to the RPi. Restarted the HA container. Removed the original ZHA integration for the sonoff (although it appeared to still be functioning fine at that level). Re-added the ZHA integration. Tried to pair 5 or so times, nothing.

During the device discovery, does the detected device appear pretty quickly, if it’s going to work? I feel like I’m missing some really basic thing at this point.

Ant other suggestions? Has anyone experienced this issue with this hardware?

Alright, I figured it out :frowning:

Although I ordered through the link shown in my original post (S31 Lite ZB), I have apparently received an S31 (WiFi version). Didn’t even think to verify this when it first arrived, and have fought with this thing off and on (more off than on) for more than a month. The two models are identical looking and both behave the same during pairing according to the manuals.

I can see the WiFi AP on this unit when put into pairing mode. Unfortunately, the eWeLink app is confusing, broken, or both. I select the WiFi and return to the app (per the S31 manual), then it complains about not having location permissions although it already has them (android). I’m not really interested in having a WiFi unit anyways…

So I guess I’ll look for a different unit, or order the ZB one again and pay more attention. :man_facepalming:

Hello, did you solve issue?
when I am run on HA OS, everything look, fine, I can pair new device, I am obtaining live data… if I use HA in docker with forwarded port, ZHA is discovered, but it not pairing and not communicate with already paired devices