SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus

Recently I had the opportunity to test the new Zigbee usb dongle from Sonoff (https://itead.cc/product/sonoff-zigbee-3-0-usb-dongle-plus/). Two main reasons to do this: a remarkable solid build device at an attractive price based on TI CC2652P + CP2102N chipset.

The usb dongle comes with a good quality usb extension cable. This is no luxury since the dongle is quite ‘fat’ and will block the adjacent usb ports easily. Placing the dongle away from for example a raspberry pi will also reduce any interference.

I have tested the Sonoff Zigbee dongle on a virgin RPI-4 HA installation.

version: core-2021.11.1
installation_type: Home Assistant OS
dev: false
hassio: true
docker: true
user: root
virtualenv: false
python_version: 3.9.7
os_name: Linux
os_version: 5.10.17-v8
arch: aarch64
timezone: UTC

logged_in: false
can_reach_cert_server: ok
can_reach_cloud_auth: ok
can_reach_cloud: ok

host_os: Home Assistant OS 6.6
update_channel: stable
supervisor_version: supervisor-2021.10.8
docker_version: 20.10.8
disk_total: 109.3 GB
disk_used: 2.8 GB
healthy: true
supported: true
board: rpi4-64
supervisor_api: ok
version_api: ok

Now let’s plug it in and see what’s happening:
Ai, I was expecting something else, better ignore. Apparently HA is recognising this as a ZWave device.

Let’s now install ZHA (Zigbee Home Automation) and select the Zigbee radio from the integration:

This feels good:

How powerful is this device? I am going to try pair a couple of zigbee units at 15 m from the dongle and with a few concrete walls and ceilings in between the dongle and the zigbee units.

Two devices on main-power: Muller light switch and a Ikea TRADFRI bulb E27. Both paired immediately.
Of course after having paired one, I disconnected it since these devices also act as a router.
Next was the TRADFRI motion sensor E1745, battery powered. I had to try two times but even the E1745 got paired with no issues. This device was paired with the Muller light and Ikea bulb disconnected.

My first conclusion: a solid device at a competitive price with a good range for home zigbee appliances.

8 Likes

18 posts were merged into an existing topic: “Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus” by ITead is based on Texas Instruments CC2652P can be pre-ordered for $10.99