Sonoff Zigbee Devices - Can't See them!

Hi,

I’ve installed the Sonoff USB Dongle in HA and it works fine - moved some of my Hue Bulbs over without issue. Also expanded out to the Sonoff Humidity and temperature sensor without issues.

For some reason none of the Sonoff switch type devices seem to get found when I put them in pairing mode. eg. Sonoff ZBMINIL2, Sonoff ZB Extreme R4 etc

Am I being daft and missing a step or do I need to do something additional - new firmware or HACS addons? I’m getting a mixture of responses on Google and I can’t see anything consistent.

Thanks

How are you running Zigbee? (ZHA, Z2M)? HACS integrations should not be needed to pair Zigbee devices. Make sure your devices are on the supported devices list.

I’m using ZHA … I’ve not found an official supported devices list anywhere - can some kind soul link one please?

No such list exists. You can kind of guess, but as far as an “official” list, there is none.

With that said, should you find yourself with some spare time, you might want to consider moving over to Zigbee2MQTT, which does have an official list: | Zigbee2MQTT

It would be really nice to be able to ask ZHA if a device model is supported. I had to write a quirk for one of my devices and it would be nice to know when it is natively supported rather than keep track of the PR and comb through the release notes for a “Bump ZHA to xxx” mention.

1 Like

You should make that a feature request, imho. :smiley:

1 Like

Done :+1:

1 Like

not official but this is a list: Database of Zigbee devices compatible with ZHA, Tasmota, Zigbee2MQTT, deCONZ, ZiGate and ioBroker

Ooohhhh I didn’t know Blackadder was covering ZHA as well now. Nice!

I believe it has been like that for quite a while.

@jaipal2004 I cant find the R4 but this should be supported by ZHA.

A top tip is also to look at the pairing instructions that are listed on the zigbee2mqtt website (even if you are using ZHA), some devices may have weird ways to reset / pair.

There is no list because ZHA aims to support all compliant devices out of the box.

“Compliant” means:

• No bugs
  • No extra features not in the specification (manufacturers are allowed to add these)

Instead you have to look for a list of devices known not yet to be supported by ZHA. There’s one here:

As issues are resolved by the addition of quirks, those devices gradually get included in the ZHA integration, but a great many devices just work. Honestly. :smile:

Z2M works the other way round. Every device has a custom device handler, compliant or not. That’s why they can list supported devices. There’s also a lot more people working on device handlers, so new devices get supported more quickly - Z2M is not part of Home Assistant and has its own thriving community.

2 Likes

Lol good luck with that. It feels like most manufacturers just take a brief glance at the zigbee spec, shrug, and throw a bunch of code at it until something sticks.

The reason Z2M (and its community) works is that it has acknowledged the above as a fact, therefore assumes that most devices are not built to spec. That way, you can kind of get a feel of how a manufacturer implements their own flavour of zigbee communication, and you’re 80% there to integrate new devices.

Here, as much as I love zigbee, this is the current situation at the moment:

2 Likes

Your post seems to suggest you had other (standalone) zigbee hubs running before HA.

Were your Sonoff devices previously paired to a different hub? If yes, you might need to unpair them from there in order to get them to join to a new network.

All the sonoff devices are new - it was only a hue hub I had previously which I’m slowly starting to shift away from.

I’ve managed to get it to see the ZBMini2 using ZHA …… need to see if I can get the R4 working too !

Thanks for everybody’s help :pray:

1 Like