Sonoff Zigbee dongle E and zigbee2mqtt in 2024

Hello all,
Is the Sonoff Zigbee Dongle E more powerful than its predecessor i.e. the P model?

Given the choice, which one should one go for in 2024 in terms of compatibility and signal strength as well as stability?

Thank you in advance

I wouldn’t limit decision to just USB devices. I have both an E and a P and recently switched to the SLZB-06 (ethernet). I struggled with disconnects with my E thus the reason I have a P. I’d suggest a P over the E if you are running Z2M, but that’s my personal opinion.

As of late, I run 2 SLZBs, one in router mode and one as the coordinator. I have no regrets moving away from the the Sonoffs as my main coordinator.

You’re thinking of wi-fi. If you need signal strength to keep your network going, you haven’t got enough routers.

1 Like

If you intend on using Z2MQTT instead of ZHA for your zigbee integration, be warned that support for the chip inside the dongle E is still marked as Experimental and is not considered stable.

I’d echo what the others have said above though:

• Get a LAN coordinator instead of a USB dongle.
  • Pick one with an external antenna just to be safe, but be aware that you’ll need routers to strengthen your zigbee mesh.

Just so we are little more clear, devices like Hue light bulbs have routers built in and enhance the overall strength of the mesh. Devices that are battery powered are generally only End Devices and rely on a connection to a router in the mesh.

The E dongle can be flashed to a router with customized firmware…

The SLZB controls are GUI based and have built in firmware for flashing updates. This also allows you to convert a coordinator to a router within the GUI.

1 Like

Thank you all very much for the great advice.

I’ve decided to go with the P version for now. I don’t have a lot of Zigbee devices yet but I take on board the comments on the need for routers. I had a Sonoff ZBridge which I have now converted into a router as well and will see if that helps as I add devices.

1 Like