Sonoff Zigbee USB 3 vs USB 2

I am using the Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus with my Raspberry pi 4. At the moment, I have it inserted in the USB 2 input because both my USB 3 slots are taken.

I have a network of around 45 devices, mostly Ikea lightbulbs and Philips Hue Dimmers.

I am noticing a lot of latency and problems. Sometimes the lights arent turning on when automated and other times they are not responding to button presses from the dimmer until I have pressed 3-4 times.

I have noticed poorer performance since adding more lightbulbs and wondered if using the USB 3 connection is partly a cause of this problem before I buy a hub to test it out.

What other optimisations or things can I try to improve the network performance?

No, that will not be the reason.

More likely you have interference with your or the neighbors 2.4Ghz WiFi signal or your Zigbee coordinator is limited in its reception/transmission.

I hope you are using a USB-extension cable and plug your coordinator in the extension cable and not directly into the Pi. Are you?

I am using an extension cable, yes.

The lights I am having the most trouble with are actually nearer the coordinator.

I can try moving the routers 2.4ghz channel.

Make sure you are not choosing an overlapping channel and keep in mind that Zigbee channel numbers are different than the WiFi 2.4 channels. (See here: https://community.home-assistant.io/t/should-i-change-my-zigbee-channel/441583/5?u=af360

Thanks.

I’ve set the wifi to channel 1 and left the zigbee stick on 11. Will see if it helps.

That’s not a good combination. Zigbee 11 directly overlaps with WiFi 1.

Channel naming is different between zigbee and wifi, so you need to check web page above to find out great match for your local setup.

My go to source: ZigBee and Wi-Fi Coexistence | MetaGeek

I had already posted a link to the channel spectrum and to that article above.
Did not help apparently…

1 Like

I was in a rush and read "you should be using wifi channels 1, 6 or 11 so just set it to that.

Can someone just tell me what channel to put my wifi on if zigbee is on channel 11? I have set to the wifi now to 13 at least.

Moving the wifi to channel 1 did seem to make an improvement actually but it could also be down to something else.

If I change the zigbee channel do I have to setup all my devices again?

WiFi 13 should be good.

13’s not at option for me here in the US… Really anything channel 6 or higher will be well outside the “Zigbee 11” band, so in the US I would normally say use WiFi 6 or 11.

But…

Also do a scan for your neighbors to see if/how they are interfering.

Changing Zigbee channels will require re-pairing, so changing WiFi is usually easiest.

1 Like