Sonoff Zigbee USB Dongle not working with IKEA Tradfri buttons

A lot of no-neutral mains powered devices are end devices because they are limited in the amount of power they can consume when “off”.

Not disagreeing with you - that is why I said “should” :slight_smile: . I am not making any general statements. I will edit my post above to make this clearer.

Digging a little bit deeper, it does appear that the specific type of devices that @junkhole is using (the ZBMINI-L) are indeed end devices. So it is possible that they do go to sleep.
Whether that can explain the delays he is seeing or not, I do not know - while I have been planning to test the ZBMINI-L for a while, I have yet to get my hands on one of those :slight_smile:

Hi folks. I’ve been living every version of pain/solution/avenue in thread so far, and have final made some progress (getting a tradfri 1766 to control stuff in HA, and getting a fyrtyr blind to move via HA also.

Rpi 4 w/ POE, SSD on USB plugged to rpi, Sonoff Usb 3.0 plugged direct to rPI, 2x tradfri 1766.

As with many others, no joy even when really close to dongle’s antenna. I tried:

• fresh batteries
  • flashing Sonoff to latest firmware (I’ve bought myself another PITA with that: need to generate a new key)
  • lots of multiply-clicking the pairing/factory reset button on remotes
  • lots and lots of attempts
  • moving to z2m from zha (and back once or twice)

and still not a single pairing.

So I am completely stumped when I realise there is one thing I hadn’t tried yet: put the dongle on a USB extension lead away from rpi and other 2.4Ghz interference.

Extension allowed me to put dongle on a flat surface and the remote being paired, with fresh battery, literally sitting on the antenna.

Bingo. paired first try. second remote and one of 2 blinds also ‘just worked’ in pairing (in both ZHA and Z2M, fwiw).

Then got blueprint for 1766 devices and got controlling some lights in a few minutes.
This is all in last day, so idea how well it will all ‘stick’…

So there you have it:

if you’re seeing this IKEA/Sonoff pairing issues, get the dongle away from the rpi!!

Lastly, re: battery drain: I don’t have much experience here, but there appears to be wierdess in how the battery level is reported/computed. Starting with fresh batteries in my remotes, I had 100% at very first pairing, but this fell very soon (a few minutes) to 60 and 74% on the devices. Will track this…

Good luck to any who follow…

2 Likes

hi all,thanks for the help.
i’m kind of new in the home assistant world.
just got a Tradfi button. The simple one with the “O” and “I” on it.

The battery was not working. i replace with a new one.
i had issue having it discovered by my sonoff zigbee usb.

I was about to give up but did the reset factory during the zigbee device search (click 4 times within 5 second on the pairing button) and it was finally discovered.

not sure if it was luck but in case it can help others.

Yeah, I had to do that too, and a bunch of other crazy stuff — until I updated the firmware on the controller. Sometimes a reset is still needed, but almost all other strange behavior fixed.

For me, for all IKEA buttons the key to pairing in ZHA was to click 4 times within 5 second on the pairing button

No need to be near Zigbee bridge (sonoff in my case) or anything else.

Good luck!

I had the same issue. With sonoff Zbbridge, all Ikea buttons battery is empty within days.

I bought sonoff ZigBee USB dongle, but I endup even can’t make the switches pair.

I found the solution finally. I have one Ikea bulb that act as a bridge, I integrated all Ikea switch through this bulb (from home assistant just choose add devices via this device while you inside the bulb page)

Now switches running for weeks normally and paired to home assistant from first time easily.

Summary: Integrate Ikea buttons from Ikea bridge that is connected to sonoff bridge.

Yeah, it’s much better than when this topic started — updated Zigbee firmware for sure, and maybe also updated firmwares from Ikea.