Sonos S2 and future of the API

With the new Sonos S2 software and operating system just around the corner, June 8th 2020, I’m curious how much this will impact all 3rd party integrations. While I know it’s all conjecture at this point as Sonos has not publicly said anything, and most likely won’t until its release, my bet is on all non official 3rd party integrations will be borked. Including the UPnP way that Home Assistant integrates. I will personally hold back on the S1 until I see what happens.

I just updated to S2 and luckily everything still seems to be working. I can start/stop streams, change the volume and group/ungroup rooms.

1 Like

Same here. After updating to S2, everything seems to still be working at first sight.

1 Like

Everything so far seems to working as before. It looks like it wasn’t as big of a change as originally thought. Although under the hood it is supposed to be a whole new OS. May have been slightly alarmist in preparing, but given ever other vendor I just assumed it would break all the things.

Has anyone tried if everything works with specific node-red nodes? For example with “node-red-contrib-sonos-plus”

If anybody sets up a split Sonos network with old and new devices (S1 and S2) it would be interesting to know how that works out with HA? I don’t automate Sonos with HA at the moment but I might soon, and would then be using one of my old S1 players. If we can get some of the integration developers online I could help out with debugging if needed.

2 Likes

I’m looking into splitting mine between S1 and S2 as well. I only have one Sonos Connect in my basement that didn’t make the S2 cut. I rarely link them to other speakers but I’m Wondering how it will work with HA. Will HA see both my systems or just the S2? Curious if anyone has tried this yet

1 Like

My assumption is that it would work between both systems since it direct connects to the speaker, you would loose control of grouping them, etc. I was going to test that an only upgrade one of the speakers but it auto updated all of them automatically so I didn’t get a chance. I have a legacy Sonos Connect not in use anymore that I might test out that theory on when I can find some time in the next week or so.

2 Likes

That would be great. I’ll hold off updating for now. Let me know what happens when you get the time. I’m in no rush. Thanks

Its working, I have part upgraded to S2,so have now two systems speakers of both systems are visible in HA

1 Like

I would be interested if HA can bridge the gap between S1 and S2 rather than have two separate groups. Possible?

Home Assistant will work with S1 and S2 setups at the same time but it cannot make S1 and S2 work with each other.

Can I just clarify, does that mean that HA works with:

• any single Sonos speaker on either S1 or S2 as it always did,
  • any group of Sonos speakers in S1 as it always did,
  • any group of Sonos speakers in S2 as it always did,
  • but not with any group of Sonos speakers in a combination of S1 and S2.

I’m yet to upgrade from S1 to S2 and I have a single speaker (Play:5) that won’t work with S2.

I’m considering whether to sell it or keep it on a separate S1.

Yes, you got that right.

I also did not upgrade yet but I am guessing that it will be annoying to run both S1 and S2 long term. Maybe if the single speaker can be put in a place where it is never grouped and always controlled by automations …

Thanks, yes this exactly what I have in mind. I still can’t decide though…

Anyone seeing issues with capturing scenes with Sonos currently? I swear this worked a lot better pre-S2…

dang it - F Sonos and their stupid set up.
ZP100 works great, and bought a new arc. I have to run 2 systems :frowning: