Sonos speakers, cheap. A good choice?

Hi there!
I have the opportunity to get a set of Sonos speakers (1 base and 2 satelite speakers) at a very cheap price. The base speaker is apparently a Play:5 model. Now I’m just trying to figure out if this is likely to work well in my system. My use case is as follows:

1. Stream separate audio streams (that can be synchronized) from Home Assistant to 3 rooms around my house. I’m thinking music, TTS and maybe the odd movie.
  2. I only want to control it from HA and don’t want to use the Sonos app at all. I’m looking for 100% local.
  3. I’d like to flash with Tasmota if it’s not too complicated. I’d rather not have to dig in to MQTT, but it’s not a deal breaker.
  4. It would be nice to be able to add more Sonos / Ikea Symfonisk speakers to the mix later.

So, does this sound like a reasonably realistic approach? Any pitfalls I should know about? If you could get a set of Sonos for cheap, would you in my situation?

All opinions appreciated! :two_hearts:

1 Like

Some speakers only work on Sonos v1 (no longer developed but supported) and some work on the current v2 and some both. The Play 5’s are available both in an older v1 and newer v1 or v2 version for example. New features added to Sonos will require v2.

1. works mostly but can’t interrupt and then resume at the current track place. Sonos have an API to allow this but it is not shared except with major players. Shame on you Sonos.

2. Tasmota - No can do nor integrated mqtt support

3. If you’re going to expand later it would be good to start with a v2 setup.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply @xAPPO !

Hmm… ok. Looking at the pictures online, it seems to be a V1, although I’m not sure if it’s the older or newer v1.

Is this because of which model this is, or has it changed? I see references to people using Sonof flashed with Tasmota on these forums, so I’m a little surprised.

Thanks for your thoughts!

That’s Sonoff rather than Sonos - different company and a very different product.

Here’s a comparison of the Play 5 gen1 and gen2

and the compatibility with Sonos 2

1 Like