Sorry, a newbie problem and?

I’m running Windows 10 and Python 3.6.1. I installed HA and all seemed to go fine. Then I closed everything down to run some errands. When I came back and tried to re-open HA (using the ‘py -m homeassistant --open-ui’ command) the page won’t open. I get a can’t reach this page error. Sorry, but I don’t even know where to start looking to resolve the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In the directory where you installed HA should be a homeassistant.log file - that would be a first place to start looking.

Thanks, unfortunately that doesn’t help. How can I totally uninstall everything and start over? I’ve tried a few times to remove HA and Python, but when i re-install it tells me its already there. Something is being left behind, but I can’t figure out what. please help.

It’s been such a long time since I ran Python/HA on Windows, I’m not sure what needs to be done.

There should be a main Python directory off the root of the C drive if you used the defaults; after uninstalling from the control panel, you can delete that.

There are also two directories in the user profile dir that you installed under in AppData\local and AppData\Roaming that Python will create that you can delete as well. Beyond that, the only other thing I can think of is to open the registry editor and search for Python, but be careful if you’re not familiar with Windows registry.

Don’t know if this helps for your specific installation, but…

1 Like

I’ve uninstalled everything a couple of times now and still can’t get HA to run. The most frustrating thin is it was running when i first installed it, but now, no matter what I do, the browser just spins and comes back with a ‘can’t reach page’ message. After a fresh install here’s what the log shows. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I’m at a total loss as to why this won’t work. Thanks:

2017-07-04 13:29:18 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of sensor is taking over 10 seconds.
2017-07-04 13:29:22 ERROR (SyncWorker_9) [homeassistant.util.package] Unable to install package netdisco==1.0.1: Command “C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\python.exe -u -c “import setuptools, tokenize;file=‘C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-8twewzal\netifaces\setup.py’;f=getattr(tokenize, ‘open’, open)(file);code=f.read().replace(’\r\n’, ‘\n’);f.close();exec(compile(code, file, ‘exec’))” install --record C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-l7_03q9j-record\install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile --home=C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp_yobxany” failed with error code 1 in C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-8twewzal\netifaces
2017-07-04 13:29:22 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Not initializing discovery because could not install dependency netdisco==1.0.1
2017-07-04 13:29:22 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for discovery: Could not install all requirements.
2017-07-04 13:29:25 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of tts is taking over 10 seconds.
2017-07-04 13:29:25 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Exception in callback _ProactorReadPipeTransport._loop_reading(<_OverlappedF…op_reading()]>)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\asyncio\events.py”, line 127, in _run
self._callback(*self._args)
File “C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\asyncio\proactor_events.py”, line 190, in _loop_reading
data = fut.result() # deliver data later in “finally” clause
File “C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\asyncio\futures.py”, line 238, in result
raise InvalidStateError(‘Result is not ready.’)
asyncio.base_futures.InvalidStateError: Result is not ready.
2017-07-04 13:29:41 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Exception in callback _ProactorReadPipeTransport._loop_reading(<_OverlappedF…ed result=b’’>)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\asyncio\events.py”, line 127, in _run
self._callback(*self._args)
File “C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\asyncio\proactor_events.py”, line 188, in _loop_reading
self._closing)
AssertionError

Looks like you’re missing a dependency. I would uninstall Python 3.6, which isn’t really recommended for a production user and install Python 3.4, which should include netdisco.

If this doesn’t work, you’ll have to do what I did back then and install it manually using a .whl or “wheel” file. You’ll need to Google how to install Python Wheels yourself, but you can find the file you are looking for here:

http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#netifaces

download the latest netifaces whl file for your windows (64 bit or 32) file and pip install it. The link goes straight to the right list, just pick the version from the list.

Being honest here; I had HA running on Win10, but it took a fair bit of work and research and many things never really were compatible so support was hard to come by. Most people who start on Win 10 either move to Raspberry Pi and are amazed at how well it works or they give up in frustration. It’s not HA, it’s more Python for Windows and Windows itself.

I never touched a Pi before in my life and the little Linux experience I had was via webservers so it was more permissions and directory lists. That was about 14 months ago. Now I’m a mod on the help forums. (LOL) Moving over to a the Pi was a game changer for me; I spent more time working with HA than on HA.

The thing to ask yourself is; “Do I want to learn how to make this work on Windows or I want to learn how to make this start running my house and do cool things?” If you’re the kind of person who gets as much joy out of the learning process as the results, then stick to your guns and start exercising your Google muscles! We’ll help here where we can, but the majority of users are actually on some kind of Linux box or the Pi so there aren’t as many folks as versed in running it on Windows.

I hope some of this helps!

^ I’d echo this sentiment. Unless there’s a really really really really really really really really really really good reason not to, spending £30 on a pi is the best option.

It basically is the ‘standard’ approach, so it’s definitely easier to obtain support, all the guides will be a simple case of copy and paste in most cases, and genuinely for the sake of such a low price will save you (well, anyone) a lot of hassle.

Anybody put off by the “I’ve never used Linux and I’m not very technically minded” concept, genuinely, it is as simple as typing in the command in the guide and pressing return. And as you follow more guides, you’ll pick up more and more.

1 Like

Thank you both for your straight forward advise. I appreciate, and now understand, the primary issue that HA isn’t meant for Windows. I also have discovered that there is an app running on my PC (Lima personal cloud) that has it’s own copy of python.exe executing. I’m skeptical that it my be interfering with the generic python installed for HA. I’m not going to go overboard trying to get Windows configured, but might try the 3.4 suggestion. I guess I’m just hung up on the fact that it worked right after the first install and all I did was close it to come back to ‘play’ later. When I came back it didn’t work and hasn’t since. So, if 3.4 also fails, I’m going to try another product that’s more compatible with Windows. The folks who make the Z-Wave stick I purchased recommended Domoticz. If I struggle there as well I might look into a Raspberry Pi or just use a commercial hub. Thanks again for responding and providing frank and candid feedback.

1 Like

Just to be clear, it isn’t that HA isn’t meant for Windows as much as Python on Windows is “sort of a hack” itself.

But if you want to get a basic idea of whether it’s worth pursuing further and have a spare Windows box - like I did at the time - it makes perfect sense to spend a little time trying to get it to work. If you see the promise (which I’m sure you will, but then I am biased) then it makes sense to move to a Pi.

Well, I’ve learned something. Always a good day when there’s learning involved. My problem turns out to be very simple. It was Microsoft Edge. Once I switched to Chrome, HA now starts and stops perfect. I did downgrade to Python 3.4, but HA complained that it required 3.5 or greater. So, I re-installed 3.6.1 and started to mess around with browsers. I can’t say why I tried this, it just seemed like something to try. As soon as i fired off Chrome, my HA Home screen came up and now I’m off into playing with configurations, etc. Thanks for your feedback and not making fun of my newbie-ness. I still may try a PI, but am having fun just playing with this config for now.

1 Like

I’m sorry I didn’t think to ask this; Edge is definitely a problem at the moment. Firefox or Chrome (and to a lesser extent on Windows, Safari) will always be your best bet for HA as well as for any of the other third party stuff like HA Dashboard.

Glad you are making progress with this!

And as far as newbieness, this may be an unusual place if you’ve been involved in other open source projects, but the community here is really supportive and positive. There is very little drama here and the place is moderated well to keep abusiveness to a minimum. So feel free to noob in a judgement free zone!

We are all learning and you just reminded me the next time to ask about Edge. :wink:

A post was split to a new topic: Newbie installation problem