Soundbar help

Hi
I have an LG SJ4 soundbar which is connected to my TV with hdmi arc.
It has the following connection modes.

CONNECTIVITY
General - Audio Input - Portable In (3.5Ø)
General - Optical
General - HDMI 1.4 (HDCP 1.4) - In / Out
General - USB	Yes
Wireless - Bluetooth 4.0

HA is in a NUC with ubuntu 18.04 docker supervised.

I mainly need to listen to spotify, or eradio etc
Can someone suggest a way (for example via bluetooth) in order to integrate it in HA?

** To be honest I don’t know if (or how) it is possible to integrate NUCs Bluetooth in HA.
Is there any custom projects that could help?

• right now I am looking to install scrcpy in order to be able to handle a spare android phone from laptop but I would like to be able to integrate the soundbar it to HA
1 Like

Hi Makis,

I would use the optical connection to the soundbar over the bluetooth for better stability. Bluetooth might work but:

• you need to put up with pairing, knowing that the soundbar was possibly unpaired, etc.
  • you might get connectivity problems w/ other BT/wifi/microwave sources causing bad connections, stutter, etc (depending how far the NUC is from the soundbar)

If the NUC is far from the soundbar but running a cable is feasible then I would use a USB extension cable (you can get special ones with lengths even over 20m) and a USB soundcard with optical out and connect it to the optical in on the soundbar.

Then I would install some media player on the NUC (e.g. Mopidy is even as add-on to Home Assistant) and configure it to use that USB soundcard.

I believe LG SJ4 soundbar has automatic source selection so it should switch between hdmi and optical inputs depending on which source provides audio at that point.
If not or that doesn’t work good you can explore using IR blaster controlled from Home Assistant to change the soundbar input (or do it, ahem…, manually)

T.

Thanks @tomasrollo!
I will give it a try and let you know.

Hi I use the optical connection to have my gorgeous sounds. but when I try to set or change the volume via HomeAssistant it does not work. Any work around to change the volume of the soundbar?

source_list: Amazon Alexa, Apple TV, Apps, Aquarium TV, Digicorder, Disney+, HDMI 3, Live TV, Media Player, Netflix, PS5, Plex, Sportalarm, Spotify: muziek en podcasts, Streamz, Thuisdashboard, VTM GO, Webbrowser, YouTube
volume_level: 0.1
is_volume_muted: false
source: Disney+
sound_output: external_optical
assumed_state: true
device_class: tv
entity_picture: /api/media_player_proxy/media_player.lg_webos_tv_uq70006lb?token=9a11548d24de3195d6fdbe7a7be846d41218fe5fa0af54ea2a2a9160ea70a9c0&cache=8974f1c9344026c6
friendly_name: [LG] webOS TV UQ70006LB
supported_features: 24381