SpaceX Next Launch / Starman Integration

It has not been added yet to the default HACS repository. You can add a custom repository to your HACS pointing to https://github.com/djtimca/haspacex and then it should show up in your search.

1 Like

How did I miss that. Iā€™m an utter noob. My next issue is probably noob related but Iā€™ve searched for an answer but not sure what is going on.
So I added the repository and when I go on integrations within HACS and HA itself, searching for SpaceX, nothing is found. Is this blatantly obvious what is going on? Thanks

I reinstalled and it appeared. My bad, newbie issues I guess. Thanks for the massive effort which has been put in here. Iā€™ll install the entities and get back to you. Thanks

1 Like

After some hours without problems I see those errors popup.
Maybe the data location is not reachable on SpaceX sideā€¦

But still let you know these errors are there:

2020-09-05 02:03:28 ERROR (MainThread) [custom_components.spacex] Unexpected error fetching SpaceX data: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/update_coordinator.py", line 143, in async_refresh
    self.data = await self._async_update_data()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/update_coordinator.py", line 131, in _async_update_data
    return await self.update_method()
  File "/config/custom_components/spacex/__init__.py", line 36, in async_update_data
    spacex_next_launch = await api.get_next_launch()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/spacexpypi/__init__.py", line 41, in get_next_launch
    return json.loads(response)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/json/__init__.py", line 357, in loads
    return _default_decoder.decode(s)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/json/decoder.py", line 337, in decode
    obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/json/decoder.py", line 355, in raw_decode
    raise JSONDecodeError("Expecting value", s, err.value) from None
json.decoder.JSONDecodeError: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)
2020-09-05 02:05:02 ERROR (MainThread) [custom_components.spacex] Unexpected error fetching SpaceX data: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/update_coordinator.py", line 143, in async_refresh
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/update_coordinator.py", line 131, in _async_update_data
  File "/config/custom_components/spacex/__init__.py", line 36, in async_update_data
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/spacexpypi/__init__.py", line 41, in get_next_launch
2020-09-05 02:05:13 ERROR (MainThread) [custom_components.spacex] Unexpected error fetching SpaceX data: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)
2020-09-05 02:05:28 ERROR (MainThread) [custom_components.spacex] Unexpected error fetching SpaceX data: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)
2020-09-05 02:07:03 ERROR (MainThread) [custom_components.spacex] Unexpected error fetching SpaceX data: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)

That looks like the issue. That was actually what drove me nuts about just using a REST sensor because their data seems to regularly timeout. I will take a look and see if I canā€™t handle that more gracefully though.

If it is a timeout their sideā€¦ hopefully all the rockets wonā€™t get a timeout when they launch themā€¦ haha
Its ok for me to have theseā€¦ at certain moment the info will be updated.

Pushed an update today that will hopefully solve those errors.

Even easier to install now - has been added to the HACS Default repository so you should just be able to search for SpaceX under integrations and it will be available for installation.

Lots of errors are gone now. I have some new errors to check:

2020-09-11 03:05:18 ERROR (MainThread) [custom_components.spacex] Unexpected error fetching SpaceX data: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)
  File "/config/custom_components/spacex/__init__.py", line 49, in async_update_data
    spacex_latest_launch = await api.get_latest_launch()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/spacexpypi/__init__.py", line 59, in get_latest_launch
2020-09-11 03:22:32 ERROR (MainThread) [custom_components.spacex] Unexpected error fetching SpaceX data: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)
  File "/config/custom_components/spacex/__init__.py", line 43, in async_update_data
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/spacexpypi/__init__.py", line 45, in get_next_launch
2020-09-11 03:30:26 ERROR (MainThread) [custom_components.spacex] Unexpected error fetching SpaceX data: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)
  File "/config/custom_components/spacex/__init__.py", line 37, in async_update_data
    spacex_starman = await api.get_roadster_status()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/spacexpypi/__init__.py", line 31, in get_roadster_status

Thanks for watching the logs @poudenes! Looks like the API sometimes returns data but it isnā€™t valid. Iā€™ve updated my API wrapper and added more graceful handling in the latest version (006) which is now available on HACS (you may need to Update Information on the integration to see it).

There will be a moment that you have alle the errors handling correct :smiley:

1 Like

Actually just pushed 007 as well - noticed I only caught this error for one of the API calls. Now handled for all.

1 Like

Your last update (008) gives also some errors:

2020-09-16 08:15:28 ERROR (MainThread) [custom_components.spacex] Unexpected error fetching SpaceX data:
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/spacexpypi/__init__.py", line 66, in get_latest_launch

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/config/custom_components/spacex/__init__.py", line 55, in async_update_data
    spacex_latest_launch = await api.get_latest_launch()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/spacexpypi/__init__.py", line 68, in get_latest_launch
    raise ValueError("Error decoding SpaceX Data (%s).", error)
ValueError: ('Error decoding SpaceX Data (%s).', JSONDecodeError('Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)'))

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/config/custom_components/spacex/__init__.py", line 61, in async_update_data
    raise ConfigEntryNotReady
homeassistant.exceptions.ConfigEntryNotReady

Pushed one more bumpā€¦ hoping this finally catches them all. Sheesh! Thanks @poudenes

Tim, thanks for your work on the integration. :slightly_smiling_face: Love it!

1 Like

This is working great for me.

I was able to convert the speed data for Starman to Mach with:

- platform: template
      sensors:
        starman_mach:
            friendly_name: "Starman Speed"
            unit_of_measurement: 'Mach'
            value_template: "{{ states('sensor.spacex_starman_speed') | float / 1235 | round(0) }}"
            icon_template: mdi:speedometer

Iā€™m trying something similar with Distance to AU, but it seems the HA doesnā€™t like to divide by exponentials. The formula I have is velocity / 1.496e+8, which if Iā€™m using the previous template for speed, would be something like below. Oddly enough, the template test page gives the correct result, but when checking the config, it seems that HA doesnā€™t like the notiation.

starman_au:
            friendly_name: "Starman Distance"
            unit_of_measurement: 'AU'
            value_template: "{{ states('sensor.spacex_starman_distance') | float / 1.496e+8 | round(0) }}"
            icon_template: mdi:map-marker-distance

Any ideas how to get this to work?
Got it to work by removing the uppercase AU from the sensor name. Formatted correctly in above examples.

1 Like

Iā€™ll add this as a new feature in a coming releaseā€¦ easier to have it as attributes on the sensor I would think! Thanks for the formulas!

Just pushed version 010 which includes an attribute for machspeed on the Starman Speed sensor and au_distance on the Starman Distance sensor.

2 Likes

Version 012 is now up which includes new sensors for next_confirmed_launch_date and next_confirmed_launch_time which will only populate once a launch has been confirmed. This will give you a simpler way to display only confirmed information. This version also includes a significant rewrite to take advantage of version 0.115 and the data update coordinator and adds devices to the integration to simplify adding them to Lovelace. (Note that means that this integration now requires version 0.115 minimum.

Enjoy!

Hi Tim,

Iā€™ve just installed your SpaceX integration today and love it. Exactly what I was looking for as my son loves watching the launches live on YouTube. Iā€™m just wondering what timezone the launch times are in though and if there is a way to adjust them?

For example, Iā€™m in the UK and todayā€™s (28/09/2020) launch time is showing on HA as 1.22pm. I believe the actual launch time is 10:22 a.m. EDT which should be 14:22 GMT or 15:22 local time for us Brits (because weā€™re still in British Summer Time)

Thank you for sharing your fantastic integration.