Speedtest Integration No longer loading

Me too.

Thanks!

I’ve updated to 2021.4.4 and works for me now :slight_smile:

My speedtest broke again at 14 April about 9PM EST Aust. according to history. I am running 2021.4.4.

At 05:30am 15/4 I noticed it not working. I reloaded the integration and enabled the entities in the integration and it started working again.

I just had to reload and enable again. Something is not right with integration.
06:45am

1 Like

I think it’s Speedtest as even before it broke recently it would stop for no reason. Manually running the service would kick it again but I was finding it failed every few days. When it broke, I switched to using the cli from ookla and it’s solid.

I really don’t understand how to run the cli from ookla. Does this mean you have to do something every update?
According to Bump speedtest-cli to 2.1.3 (#48861) · home-assistant/core@50bc037 · GitHub
The latest version of SPEEDTEST-CLI is 2.1.3 I think that is the latest version but I am not sure of the version you are running??
My understanding, and probably wrong, is that HA Core would be using the ookla CLI???

Mine was working fine on 2021.4.3 but when I went to 2021.4.4 it went bad again??

Confused

EDIT
I just came across this Debian Package Tracker

Again I really don’t understand it all but from what I am seeing the 2.1.3-1 is unstable.

I just followed the instructions to install it from Ookla website. Installed on Debian. Then I convert the speeds to Mbps and publish to MQTT and use a MQTT sensor in HA. I run a bash script to convert and publish at 28 and 58 mins every hour via cronjob.
I can give you the script etc if you want to try it.

Thank you for the offer but I am not that smart.
I am running my HA on a NUC that I am running Ubuntu and the HA in docker.
I followed this How to set up Hassio in Docker and in an Ubuntu server | JuanMTech about 18mths ago.
I actually loaded desktop over the server as it has all the GUI stuff for updates etc.

So in short I try and stick to the integrations as it’s what I can understand.

I do run some backup crons on the Ubuntu to backup my snapshots to my Synology NAS. This give me a bit more security if I have to rebuild HA (I hope anyway).

I thought you said you weren’t that smart? :rofl:
If you can do that then this is a doddle… anyway no worries… whatever works for you.

At the moment it’s working

If it gets too bad I will get back to you.
If I understood more about how you are doing it… but lost at the moment.
Thank you

Yeah. Mine stopped working on the 12 April. Thought it was me as I fiddling with the config files at the time!
Just updated to 2021.4.4 and it’s now working again.
Thanks for all your efforts guys.

It seems that was working with the 2021.4.4 version … but now it’s failing again :frowning:

Like I said earlier it was randomly failing for me since a few weeks even before it was totally broken upstream. I have had no failures with my bash script.

Running 2021.4.3 here and Speedtest stopped working about ~20 hours ago. Stopped for me before the 2021.4 upgrade about a week ago.

I am really confused at what is happening here. Below is my history on this entity for this month so far.

I love that I can pull this data.

As DavidFW1960 has said it(the integration) has been randomly failing for some time now and this can be seen in the above screen shot.

I am not privy as to how the Python Code to run Speedtest-cli is constructed but I am guessing that it SHOULD be using the latest code from Ookla which I am assuming should be on Github??? There are a lot of assumptions there :neutral_face:

I can see that David’s solution works great but this is a workaround.

What is happening in HA to address the integrity of the integration?

Some communication from the owner of this integration would be very helpful.

Yes no issues here

The issue doesn’t seem to be with the integration but with is the upstream component speedtest-cli which isn’t under HA control. FWIW I am not seeing any of those issues

Yes, As David has demonstrated it works fine with the Speedtest-CLI that he downloaded from Ookla.

My questions are

Which version of the speedtest-cli is David having success with?
Which version is the integration using?

If they are the same then why is David’s solid and others are not??

From the documentation:

This integration uses speedtest-cli to gather network performance data from Speedtest.net. Please be aware of the potential inconsistencies that this integration may display.

If you follow the links it say that the speedtest-cli was bumped to 2.1.3 three days ago…

Was that the change that made the difference?

Now mine has not missed a beat in the last 24hours or so maybe the gremlin has gone on holiday?

I just made this card and the 3 days seems to be significant

The integration is using the latest speedtest-cli, the reqs were bumped the other day to pick the version they updated to to resolve the issue everyone was having issues with. Is the one from ookla the python implementation of it, I have no idea but we have to use the python one. Here is the pr to bump the version prior to it the last change was Oct 2020. https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/48861. If you look at the speedtest cli from ookla it’s different implementation of what is being used. Speedtest CLI - Internet connection measurement for developers andmaynotbe usable in HA

@DavidFW1960 would love to try your mqtt publish script if you don’t mind sharing it. thanks in advance

1 Like