Split-up known-devices

HI,

might be terribly stupid question, but here goes:

my known_devices.yaml is getting rather long, so i tried to split it up in a subfolder and following configuration:
in configuration.yaml:

known_devices: !include_dir_merge_named known_devices

which leads to the following error in the log…:

2017-12-15 11:23:01 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] Unable to find component known_devices
2017-12-15 11:23:01 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for known_devices: Component not found. 

Isn’t this possible? if it is, what am i doing wrong? i do still have a (empty) known_devices.yaml in that directory, for the system to write newly tracked devices to.

btw: all components are shown correctly, and seem to behave just fine in the frontend…
btw2:
if i state it under homeassistant: at the top of the file i get the following error:

2017-12-15 11:35:23 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config] Invalid config for [homeassistant]: [known_devices] is an invalid option for [homeassistant]. Check: homeassistant->known_devices. (See /config/configuration.yaml, line 5). 
Failed config

Thanks,
Marius

There is no ‘known devices’ component so placing an entry in your configuration.yaml will cause an error. The known devices file is a product of/for the device tracker component.

AFAIK it is not possible to split the file as standard, you would probably need to edit the device tracker core file, which is a bit (a lot) above my head.

was afraid this would be the answer…
might be a nice feature request, since having an extensive configuration file like this is, besides being rather prone to accidents being in the root directory, also very inconvenient.

Who’s the one to talk to would you know ?

Cheers,
Marius

There’s a fair few people who have committed changes to the files, but I don’t know who would be best for your idea I’m afraid.