Spook -Your homie

:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost:

v2.1.0

:sparkles: New features

• Detect unknown source used in utility meter helpers @frenck (#558)
  • Detect unknown source used in trend helpers @frenck (#560)

:bug: Bug fixes

• Fix service description schema for accepting multiple devices @frenck (#556)

:toolbox: Maintenance

• [ImgBot] Optimize images @imgbot (#553)

:books: Documentation

• Process documentation review comments @frenck (#557)

:arrow_up: Dependency updates

• :arrow_up: Update dependency ruff to v0.1.12 @renovate (#554)
  • :arrow_up: Update dependency ruff to v0.1.13 @renovate (#559)

3 Likes

I have Spook 2.1.0 installed but some of the services don’t appear to be there. It was installed through HACS.

Did you add the integration after downloading from HACS?

1 Like

Have you tried just to type ( orp ) in the service field ?

Yes I’ve rebooted a few times for various reasons and it’s still not there.

orp gives no results.

spook y :slightly_smiling_face: … maybe the integration not found you authorized for such a task :smile:

1 Like

I’m a bonehead. Had it installed in HACS but forgot to actually add the integration! Problem solved.

Credit to @Edwin_D for the save!

Trying to setup the integration, but it fails with “Failed to setup”

Getting this in the logs.

Logger: homeassistant.config_entries
Source: config_entries.py:406
First occurred: 15:54:25 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 15:54:25

Error setting up entry Not your homie for spook
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 406, in async_setup
    result = await component.async_setup_entry(hass, self)
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/config/custom_components/spook/__init__.py", line 90, in async_setup_entry
    await services.async_setup()
  File "/config/custom_components/spook/services.py", line 288, in async_setup
    self.async_register_service(service)
  File "/config/custom_components/spook/services.py", line 293, in async_register_service
    service.async_register()
  File "/config/custom_components/spook/services.py", line 168, in async_register
    for platform in self.hass.data[DATA_ENTITY_PLATFORM][self.domain]
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^^^^^^^^^^^^^
KeyError: 'timer'

Any tips on what to check? Or is it a bug.

Running these versions.

• Core2024.1.3
  • Supervisor2023.12.1
  • Operating System11.4
  • Frontend20240104.0

Guess how I came up with the suggestion. :wink: #BoneheadToo

3 Likes

Thanks for this work, @frenck ! Lot’s of usefull stuff in your integration :grinning:!!
Is there any service to change the friendly_name of an entity? That could be quite handy.
For instance, I have an imput_boolean to switch my “Christmas Mode” on, when I assemble my tree, and I get some devices I have in storage for the lights; I keep track of how many devices I have offline, and when chritmas mode is off I add a “®” to the start of the name, so that my templates ignore this devices as they are in “Reserve”. It would be nice to have an automation to do this when I turn on / off my christmas mode.
Other uses: For instance, a smart plug with power monitoring could change the name according to device consumption (if you know the consuption of the devices you connect there it is easy enough to ‘guess’ whats connected and change the name accordingly.
Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

I was looking for exactly this. I came up with a routine in Node-RED that is supposed to batch rename entities based on their entity ID (all of which have the desired values already — that was a lot of work to standardize) plus some text regex fu. No such service to set friendly name exists, though.

Hi,

Same for me. First with 2023.12.3 then I updated to 2024.1.5 but nothing changed. I still get this error message

Spook has been fantastic to help keep thinks “clean”. It would be most helpful if when identifying a missing entity in a dashboard, it was able to tell me which sub view.

Spook was working great until today update. I think it was an Operation System update, and now Spook showing NOT LOADED. Even after system restart, reboot. Anybody else experience the same issue ?

Haven’t seen any reports. Anything in the logs?

:ghost: Spook has a new home!

Our little friend can now be found on:

https://spook.boo

2 Likes

Hi Frenck, as you asked, here I have:

ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.translation] Validation of translation placeholders for localized (it) string component.spook.issues.lovelace_unknown_entity_references.description failed

Not sure what is related to. Thank you.

That issues was fixed in Translations update from Hosted Weblate by weblate · Pull Request #592 · frenck/spook · GitHub

Will be part of the next Spook release.

1 Like

v2.2.0

This release requires at least Home Assistant 2024.2.0 or later. Also, when used, HACS v1.34.0 or later is needed. Be sure to upgrade those! :smiling_face:

Also, Spook has a new home on the web! You can now find all of Spook’s documentation on his new URL here:

https://spook.boo

So, let’s talk about the new things this release!

Spook knows about the new Proximity integration

The new Proximity integration, which was revamped for Home Assistant 2024.2, has been added to Spook as well.
It will be able to detect configuration issues with the UI configuration of those. For example, if proximity is set on a zone that no longer exists, ignores non-existing zones, or tracks unknown devices or persons.

As usual, Spook will create a nice repair issue for those.

Non-existing service calls in automations

Spook can figure out the used services in automations now and will use this to check if all called services in action are existing services. If not, well, you guessed it: A repair issue will be raised.

Home Assistant itself can raise these too. However, Spook will detect and raise them proactively.

Translation fixes

Home Assistant 2024.2 can raise warnings in the logs in case there are translation issues. Many of those warnings have been fixed in the translations used by Spook.

If you find more, please let us know! Or, help out translating Spook. All you need is a browser.

https://spook.boo/development#translating-spook

Changelog below.

:sparkles: New features

• Add inspections for unknown service calls in automations @frenck (#600)
  • Add inspections for proximity issues @frenck (#596)

:toolbox: Maintenance

• Translations update from Hosted Weblate @weblate (#593)
  • Translations update from Hosted Weblate @weblate (#592)
  • Bump min req Home Assistant 2024.2.0 and HACS 1.34.0 @frenck (#595)
  • Translations update from Hosted Weblate @weblate (#599)
  • Translations update from Hosted Weblate @weblate (#598)
  • Translations update from Hosted Weblate @weblate (#601)

:books: Documentation

:arrow_up: Dependency updates

• :arrow_up: Update actions/deploy-pages action to v4.0.4 @renovate (#586)
  • :arrow_up: Update dependency ruff to v0.2.1 @renovate (#587)
  • :arrow_up: Update actions/setup-node action to v4.0.2 @renovate (#588)
  • :arrow_up: Update dependency homeassistant to v2024.2.0 @renovate (#589)
  • :arrow_up: Update dependency hass-nabucasa to v0.78.0 @renovate (#578)
  • :arrow_up: Update dependency homeassistant to v2024.2.1 @renovate (#594)

1 Like

feel honored to see my mobile_app service being shown as example here.:wink:

and thx for the update with the new unknown services scanner.

could this be a bug related to that new functionality:

Deze fout is ontstaan door een aangepaste integratie.

Logger: custom_components.spook
Source: helpers/debounce.py:114
Integration: Spook (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 22:01:30 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 22:01:30

Unexpected exception from <function AbstractSpookRepair.async_activate.<locals>._async_inspect at 0x7fcc85ea3560>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/debounce.py", line 114, in _handle_timer_finish
    await task
  File "/config/custom_components/spook/repairs.py", line 134, in _async_inspect
    await self.async_inspect()
  File "/config/custom_components/spook/ectoplasms/automation/repairs/unknown_service_references.py", line 67, in async_inspect
    _async_find_services_in_sequence(
  File "/config/custom_components/spook/ectoplasms/automation/repairs/unknown_service_references.py", line 136, in _async_find_services_in_sequence
    _async_find_services_in_sequence(called_services, step[CONF_SEQUENCE])
                                                      ~~~~^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
KeyError: 'sequence'

there is no Repair created, and as far as manually checkable, no service unknown. There was an earlier (fixed) repair on an uninstalled integration, but 3 restarts later this still shows, without anything further.

Not sure this is an ‘issue’ in the sense of a ‘bug’ so before filing anything in the repo, asking here for some feedback