Spotcast - custom component to start playback on an idle chromecast device

Yes! correct. With my own additions onto it ofc

Yes, I’m not sure how that one works. I like his work, but don’t want to be dependable on someone elses work to create my interface. That’s why I decided to not use his and create my own interface. I do use his popup sliders though. They work pretty good, though I want to create my own version later on.

1 Like

Wish I had the same experience in yaml as you have. Did you share your config somewhere to just dig in and learn :slight_smile: ?

I started using Home Assistant since last december (so just over 7 months ago). I switched from Homey (smart home platform) after using that for around 1,5 years. I started using YAML mode like 3-4 months ago. I am by no means a programmer (I studied marketing and am working at communications/marketing). I just try a lot and figure out as I go.

I don’t have my config published right now. I might do that down the road, but I’d need to clean a lot up (have a lot of personal info and comments everywhere to help me code). Right now I don’t have the time to publish that unfortunately. There are a lot of other people who have their complete UI’s programmable, like Dwaine and Jimmy.

1 Like

Hey, I’ve started using spotcast and think its excellent! I’ve been able to set up some easy one click buttons in HA that are great for my family to use to get music into the room they’re in!

However, I’m noticing a small problem in that it randomly stops playing back after approx ~30minutes. One click of the button gets it going again, but as a result we end up hearing a lot of the same tracks even with the “random” songs set to true.

Just wondering if I have done something incorrectly?

I have this configured on a template switch.

spotcast_everywhere:
        friendly_name: "Everywhere Music"
        value_template: "{{ is_state('media_player.everywhere', 'playing')}}"
        turn_on:
          - service: spotcast.start
            data:
              device_name: Everywhere
              random_song: true
              uri: 'spotify:playlist:xxx'
        turn_off:
          - service: media_player.turn_off
            entity_id: media_player.everywhere

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

It’s an hour (it might feel like 30 minutes because you started the service earlier, then stopped and played again). This has to do with the tokens. As far as I am aware there is no way around this at the moment.

1 Like

Hi!

I’m trying to upgrade from 0.111.4 to the latest version but when I run the ‘Check Home Assistant Configuration’ tool from Supervisor to check my config against the latest version, I get the following incompatibility:

Failed config
General Errors:
- Component error: spotcast - No module named ‘spotipy’

The Spotcast component is working flawlessly in 0.111.4 so I’m not really sure why I get that response when checking against the new version??

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Weird. Uninstall spotcast and upgrade HA and then install latest

What happens after the latest release?

No more cast devices between the players list

I saw that 0.112 had a different way to store cast devices

Now it is solved with spotcast 3.3.4

Ok, but i still have 0.111… is this a problem?

Don’t know. Try 3.3.4

Yes, it works!! Great, thanks…

Hi
Is it correct that the spotcast integration no longer exists in HACS? I cannot find it there.
So only manual installation possible?
Thanks to clarify;-)

Spotcast should exist as far as I know.

try the “+” sign

Thanks, I thought you could just search, but indeed + gives even more :wink:

Hey, maybe you can help me with something here @ASNNetworks :slight_smile:
I have a selection now and working but the dropdown alignment is terrible:

Is there a way to align it better and keep it in the card when it comes to width? I have CSS styling options but just don’t know what to style :slight_smile:

drpdwn1

drpdwn2

I don’t think you can change that. At least, I haven’t tried it myself. I have wider cards than your example, so I don’t have that issue myself.

Hi all, this looks like a great addon, I just seem to be having an issue with my Google home device.
Everything seems to be setup correctly, I have the spotcast.start service available and don’t get any account errors. It’s just my device that isn’t detected at all, whether I use entity or device name.

Upon reading through a lot of the replies, I noticed I don’t have the sensor.chromecast_devices. Does this need to be added before it will detect Google home devices?