Spotify ignoring source

Nope, as far as I understand from the replies given here on the forum and on Github, some months ago, it is not regarded as an issue, and the component is working perfectly.

If you have any programming skills I challenge you to showcase that, yes in fact, you cán hardcode the source(memory) into the spotify component HA config, since the current developer(s) disagree, I think :slightly_smiling_face:.

I am not a developer but I would like to know how I could find out the aliases of the Spotify devices.

Me neither…

Start by adding;
logger:
default: warning
logs:
homeassistant.components.media_player.spotify: info
in configuration.yaml.

Things like 2017-11-06 21:08:56 INFO (Thread-3) [homeassistant.components.media_player.spotify] New Devices: {‘Gymmet’: ‘f610e96da0fe902ced9fc1e98df9b034be7ff0’, ‘Kitchen’: ‘c6aaa3f93b39016a6a2e74ef34f042caee2d3e’} will appear in the log. Those are your aliases.

1 Like

To bad this still isnt working like i hoped…

Are ther alternate ways/sources which work better with spotify? Like other devices then the chromecasts audios i can pair to my devices for more reliable control through HA?

Anyone with experiences?

how to get the 5d660xxxx?

I have my sonos named ‘sala’, so it must be: abc123def456: ‘sala’?

I do not know how to get the “abc123def456”

As it is written in the component documentation:

aliases (Optional): Dictionary of device ids to be aliased, handy for devices that Spotify cannot properly determine the device name of. New devices will be logged to the info channel for ease of aliasing.

Maybe it’s a dumb question, but where do i find the info channel with the device id’s?

EDIT:
Found the solution, as posted some posts above by pappajohan

Has anyone found a fix for this?

I’ve added aliases yet still Spotify forgets them

2 Likes

I’m having the same problem, 2 receivers, one source is always showing up in the list, and the other one (2 year older receiver, also with Spotify Connect) isn’t showing up till I stream to it from phone.
When I stop streaming from the phone the source disappear from spotify homeassistant.
Added all the aliases but that didn’t work out also, anybody have other ideas?

Hi!
I’m still causing problems for poor individuals for not formatting my text correctly above. I apologise and will never ever forget again. Please, let this be right…!

logger:
  default: warning
  logs:
    homeassistant.components.media_player.spotify: info

Thanks

1 Like

Anyone found any fix for the source forgetting?

I think that Chromecast loose the Connect to Spotify and will be offline.

i dont use chromecast tho, only desktop computer and a old android mobile connected to an amplifier.

Is there no solution to the source problem ? The whole spotify component is useless this way (in my opinion), it doesn’t remember any sources at all.

I am on hassio, is this maybe only a hassio problem ?

This is not a hassio only problem. It’s a problem with any version of HA that uses the Spotify component as the issue is specific to the component.

After all this time, I’m actually surprised that no one has worked on a solution for this, especially how popular this component is. I only wish I were a programmer in situations like this. I get that the component owners say that it’s “working as intended,” but these same folks have to be seeing all these threads on here, reddit, elsewhere all asking about the same thing.

So to the component holders, sure… it’s working as intended, but is there nothing to be done to solve for what folks actually need and want?

Apologies if my tone seems harsh, I honestly love this component and use it every single day. However, I’m not a programmer, and relinking my source to the component at seemingly random times gets HUGELY annoying & frustrating after a while. With that said, since this component is so popular, why has the attempts stopped? Many of us are just trying to understand this.

1 Like

I think the problem isn’t the plugin but the devices.
I have on my raspberry raspotify and it remain connected to Spotify Connect and you can use the player with audio out on jack or hdmi.
Amazon Echo works in the same way.
Google Home, chromecast and generally android disconnect from Spotify Connect and conseguently lose the connection.
This is my small test.
Bye
Sandro

Agree here, i believe the issue is when using google home and chromecasts.
if you search the forums, for spotify and chromcast you will see many issues

i am looking at mopidy as an alternative as it can link to spotify

Let’s stop beating this dead horse, it have been a year - nothing is fixed, and nothing is gonna be fixed. The arguments are the same, is it the component? - is it the device? Sure, the spotify connect + chromecast combo issent alwalys perfect. But to be completly honest I think its a little too easy to simply blame the device - since this problem is only this big with the spotify component - NOT regular spotify apps… That being said, I get that this problem might not be easy to fix either, seeing how locked down the chromecast sadly is.

TLDR; If you own a chromecast, consider the component broken, try and get mopidy running instead. Do not under any circumstance buy some chromecasts (like I did), expecting to get this working any time soon - if at all - it have been a year now.

Hey,
i don’t want to give up finding out how to change the source…
I just came across this page where the spotify connect web api is described.

unfortunately i’m not into programming or using these commands.
does anyone know how to use these commands to change the playback source? or how to implement them in ha? (i already have a shell script to play a certain playlist…)

First post in here, not a developer, but a happy camper out tinkering, so pardon my ignorance.

I get this error when trying to use media_player.spotify:

Configuration invalid CHECK CONFIG

Invalid config for [media_player.spotify]: expected a dictionary for dictionary value @ data[‘aliases’]. Got None. (See ?, line ?). Please check the docs at Spotify - Home Assistant

The question is, how do I find the aliases and is it worth spending time on this, or is the component broke? The aliases does not seem to show up in the log file…