Spurious Sensor appeared from nowhere - No one will believe me

…and I wouldn’t blame them.

However, be that as it may perhaps someone can give me a clue as to what is going on?

I have a sensor that seems to have appeared out of no where and which is always ‘unknown’.

I cannot remove it because…

I have for some weeks now, had many template sensors set up for my gas (supplied from Octopus Energy) which have been (and still are) working perfectly.

However, yesterday this sensor seems to have appeared from nowhere (I told you that you wouldn’t believe me!).

I have no idea where it came from.

It doesn’t exist in my config:

And I have no integration that could have created it as there isn’t one for Octopus Energy.

How am I supposed to remove it?

What happens if you press “Related”, it usually says what integration has produced the entity

:man_shrugging:

Do you ave a utility meter with a night_cost tariff?

No…

I have had something similar happen and the only way I could get rid of it was to edit the (uneditable by directive) .storage files - usually in core.entity_registry.

Thanks. I had a feeling this would end up at some point in the .storage files.

That doesn’t fill me with confidence before I venture into that dark forbidden place :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl:

Seriously, and I think this might be worth a separate rant post for, It feels so fundamentally wrong to have arrived at a place where editing system files is the only way to put some things right.

1 Like

I only say usually because it depends on if you re having troubles with a “device” or an “entity”.

in your case it seemed to be only a single entity so core.entity_registry will (should…? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) be where you will find it.

just make sure you make a backup of the file before editing in case something goes wrong.

you’ve been around for a while so you should fine. A less experienced user needing to do this…who knows? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

This is all getting a bit too weird.
I included .storage in my VSC and searched for ‘night cost’ and ‘night_cost’. It returned nothing.

And stranger still the entity now has a value (albeit one of 0.0) so it is obviously ‘sensing’ something.

I am starting to think it must be something I have done in the past and forgotten about but I am stumped as to where to look to find this entity so that I can remove it?