SQUASHFS error / EXT4-fs error

Hi there. First time posting here. Was anyone able to solve this error?
I started to have the same error almost every day or every couple of days. Home Assistant runs fine until it doesn’t.
I run a dedicated Pi 4gb ram with Hass OS on an SSD. Regular Sata drive.
I run HA for 2 months without doing anything to it after the initial set up. After I got everything integrated and mounted the wall tablet I started to have this issue.
Pi is connected to a 20w power supply and the enclosure for the Ssd is USB 3. The only other thing I have connected to it is Skyconnet using the supplied extension.

I run another pi as a Plex server using the same Ssd with 4 drives connected to it and never got any issues and it’s rock solid which makes me believe it’s not the Ssd.

Can anyone help? I would really like to have this sorted. Running latest HA 2024.2

I don’t know, but I did come across the following:

Hi, I ran into this problem as well - SQUASHFS/EXT4 errors and the system doesn’t start properly. This started a day ago, after updating to HA 2024.2. However, I am running an Intel NUC with a Samsung EVO M.2 SSD drive. I’ve never had any problems like this before - the last thing I did was update to 2024.2.1. I don’t think this problem has to do with RaspberryPI or USB in my case, it seems like something got corrupted?

I’m wondering what I can do to troubleshoot it. After book, I get the HA CLI, but its very unresponsive. Does HA have a “safe mode” or diagnostics tool?

After running for over 2 years I just got the same on Argon ONE M.2 SATA, Kingston 250GB SDD, but there were no major updates prior this occured, it just stopped working at night. It was running 2024.02. Yet it still boots up, but then crashes randomly after a few minutes. I tried updating to 2024.2.1 and all other possible HA updates, but did not help. After multiple crashes noticed it seem to last longer while connected to LAN rather than WiFi. Considently or not, several times it crashed when I was trying to log into HA.
Are there AddOns to chech if SSD is not corrupted?

Same problem for me today… RPi4 with Argon case. Updated to latest supervisor and 2024.2, and it dropped off the network. I hooked up KVM, and saw same SQUASHFS errors and data read errors… Two reboots didn’t resolve. I finally unplugged it, disconnected everything, and put it back together, and it all came back online… :man_shrugging:

Chiming in, just got this this morning. I run an RPi4 with POE, so used the switch to reboot it a few times. Didn’t do it. Trying to rescue a backup now. (I know, I know!)
Has been running solid since 2020.

Hi,

Same problem here :frowning: .
Using a RPI4 with Argon ONE M.2 case, HA has crashed suddenly and cannot be longer connected to my network.
SQUASHFS error to on boot.

Same issue… So no fixes huh?

I was having these errors with HA crashing intermittently last year on my Pi 4 running a USB SATA SSD and HAOS 10.5. Eventually HA would no longer boot. The crashing and errors disappeared after I replaced my SSD (and case) and restored my Home Assistant from backup. I did this 6 months ago and it has been stable since then.

The errors were similar to the OP:

EXT4-fs error (device sda8): __ext4_find_entry:1662: inode #131554: comm coredns: reading directory Iblock 0

and

[78702.586270] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read metadata cache entry [8383595]
[78702.588158] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read directory block [8383595:9f8]

The case was replaced with the same model, UGreen external M2 SATA case, so that was unlikely the fix. My hypothesis is that it was most likely corruption on the SSD (although I give some other possibilities below). I’m unsure if it was software or hardware corruption. It’s possible that a Linux equivalent of checkdisk, or a reformat and restore may have resolved it, rather than SSD replacement; but I had a spare SSD and the nuclear option worked for me.

Some other possibilities that could have resolved my issue:

• USB SSD adapter UAS mode blacklist — This comment on the HAOS repository references the blacklist which only gets updated on fresh HAOS installs. It’s possible that my SSD adapter needed UAS mode blacklisted, and this only applied on my reinstall. [Re-reading this thread I think there are other mentions of this too]
  • HAOS version — The above Github thread also mentioned HAOS 10.x being problematic. When I first configured my new SSD, I installed the same version HAOS 10.5, then restored my backup. I then downgraded to HAOS 9.5 and ran it for a month (without issue), before upgrading to HAOS 11 (again without issue) and I’m now on 12.X.
  • Custom integration iCloud3 — I first experienced the crashing shortly after updating from iCloud3 v3, Prerelease 1.1 to Prerelease v1.3. At the time I disabled the integration and I haven’t re-enabled it since. Disabling the integration did not fix the issue, but maybe it had somehow caused some corruption that could not be recovered from, perhaps too many writes to disk. I have nothing to back this up, I couldn’t find anyone else mentioning any crashing issues with the integration. I think it is more likely a coincidence that crashes occurred after the installation.
  • USB Bluetooth Adapter — At one stage when I was experiencing the crashes last year, one of the last messages in my logs before the crash was bluetooth_auto_recovery.recover] Bluetooth adapter hci0 [ADDRESS] successfully turned back ON. I disconnected the adapter, and have not connected it again. Again, disconnecting the adapter did not resolved the issue, but maybe damage was already done? I think this is unlikely too.

So the TL;DR of my experience:
Replacing my SSD fixed the issue, but a reformat of the SSD and a fresh HAOS installation may have done the trick.