SSH access to the host for Hass.io running in Docker?

Hello!

I’m trying to transfer from RPi3 to a NUC running Ubuntu with Docker. I have installed Hass.io in Docker but can’t get my USB devices (a Aeon Z-Wave USB stick and a RFXtrx433E) connected.

With Hass.io running on a RPi3 I have needed to enable SSH access to the host (https://developers.home-assistant.io/docs/en/hassio_debugging.html) and then using the “ls -al /dev/serial/by-id” command to find the attached devices (Can't get RFXtrx to work on Hass.io!).

However, I can’t seem to get this to work on the NUC running Hass.io in Docker.

When using Hass.io -> System -> Hardware I get a reaaly long list of devices without information about what devices are attached so this is not very helpful.

Is it possible to find the path to attached USB devices using the “ls -al /dev/serial/by-id” when using Docker? How? Is there a better and easier way of finding the right paths to attached USB devices when using Hass.io?

Thanks in advance!

in docker you need to share your USB devices.
If you’re not on a RPi, I suggest installing docker-compose which is much easier to use for docker.
This is my docker-compose with an RFXTrx:

version: '3'
  services:

homeassistant:
      container_name: ha
      image: homeassistant/home-assistant:0.94.1
      volumes:
        - /home/cctv/docker_ha:/config
        - /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
      devices:
        - /dev/serial/by-id/usb-RFXCOM_RFXtrx433_A1XETWB5-if00-port0:/dev/serial/by-id/usb-RFXCOM_RFXtrx433_A1XETWB5-if00-port0
      restart: always
      network_mode: host

OK, that sounds a bit complicated. I’ll check out docker-compose!

Maybe I should just install the Hass.io image directly on the NUC instead of using Ubuntu and Docker? Would everything work exactly as on a RPi then?

you can’t install hass.io directly as far as I know as it’s a different OS/architecture. Docker is relatively easy to install and takes care of all dependencies.
Docker-compose makes it even easier to use

It’s possible to install Hass.io directly on NUC (https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/) but you need to remove the SSD/HDD and flash the image directly.

yes, there is a way (there always is). Only thing is, if you install hass.io you can’t do much else.
I’d personally install stock Ubuntu and docker. If you really want to install hass.io, I’m afraid I won’t be of much help as I have no experience with it…