SSH slow to the point of being frozen

I’ve had Hass.io running successfully for about a week. The front end and automations are still working but I can no longer use SSH. When I try I am able to see the login greeting and the shell prompt but the prompt is unresponsive. Sometimes it lets me type a few characters (like ls) but no more before it freezes. I’m running 0.57.2. I’ve tried restarting the SSH service through the web interface and power cycling my Raspberry Pi 3.

I just tried adding an authorized_keys file to the SD card so I can SSH into the host but that’s failing in a similar fashion. This makes me wonder if it’s a ResinOS issue.

I’m using a brand-new high endurance SD card.

What could this be and how I can I diagnose it? Is it possible that the disk is full or there’s some kind of runaway process?

I found the solution: https://expresshosting.net/ssh-hanging-authentication/

This happened to me as well. Doing what the link said fixed it for me. I will add what that link says just to stop more clicking/preserve it here:

Edit the two configuration files for the Raspberry Pi:

/etc/ssh/ssh_config
/etc/ssh/sshd_config

And add the following line to the bottom of the configuration file:

IPQoS 0x00

Restart sshd: sudo service sshd restart

1 Like

That did solve it for me but then it appears that upgrading Hass.io overwrote my changes to /etc/ssh/sshd_config and I had the problem again. I don’t know how to preserve the changes between upgrades.

Thank you so much for this fix!
I had an issue on Hassbian, where SSH would be slow and eventually freeze.
Your fix took care of the problem :+1:

But I am left with one question…

Why does the problem come up in the first place? It has been working without any issues for more than a year…