Standalone Truenas and HomeAssistant

I would normally not reply, but in this case I will make an exception.

OK let’s assume I agree with you I know nothing about anything. You are the one trying to make the case that LMS can stand against any modern media server. However you have failed to provide the reasoning behind your claim. Pointing me to a Wikipedia article is neither here or there (anyone with any bias can write the article).

Do you care to provide a few advantages of using LMS over Plex, Jellyfin, Kodi, Volumio, JRMC, etc. Make your case, I am willing to listen. What LMS can do better than any of the above. I am curious as the GitHub page is shy of details.

1 Like

I will respond after I’ve moved interstate next week and things are unpacked.

To correct your reasoning, however, you are the one who claimed LMS is outdated and does not offer many features, only by looking at the Logitech website.
In many posts, many people have raved about LMS, including @nickrout. LMS is actively maintained and regularly updated. There are many third party plugins to further enhance functionality.

LMS can be installed on a RPi running PiCore Player so you can have a complete server/player on a tiny board.

The thing it can do better than any thing else is precisely timed multiroom playback. If you have ever had the audio from one room a few milliseconds behind the other room, and can hear both of them, you’d want LMS.

A whole house system with a central amplifier feeding speakers in every room can also do the same, but that requires a lot of planning. It is really an exercise for building or renovating than an afterthought.

And most of us are not building a new house, and have to retrofit these things.

OK. What I do not understand is why you think synced multiroom playback is the thing. Today this is a non-issue with products from Sonos, Bluesound, WiiM, Arylic, Linkplay, Airplay, Snapcast, Mopidy, OpenHome, to name just a few across the tech spectrum.

The issue with LMS is that the interface is, let’s put it mildly, old, run on an older unsupported protocol. Why would someone even consider LMS today is beyond me, unless of course you have devices running on the Squeeze protocol.

But everyone entitled to their opinions. For me it is lunacy to try to use Windows 95 when Windows 10 is available at no cost difference.

Is the sda sdb pass through is effective in and stable for truenas to work on Proxmox ?