Standalone Truenas and HomeAssistant

Hi there,

I found out the fun is getting out of my project cause im stuck on installing HASS on Truenas with kubernete/VM/etc.
I want to do it the following way, and i’m curious if you guys can help me out.
Is it possible to install Truenas and HASS both standalone like a application, in a platform like Linux or so? Like you have Chrome and GTA5 opened on Windows :wink: but not one on top of the other.

Thankyou

You can achieve this using a hypervisor like Proxmox. Basically TruaNAS and HA will live inside their own VM.

Or you can use a Linux Distro (e.g. Debian, Ubuntu, etc) and a KVM solution like https://www.qemu.org.

For stability I suggest Proxmox, but your goals may be different.

Im basically trying to set it up for;

-Home Assistant , to controll all smart devices like our airconditioner, climate hub, EUFY hub, smart kitchen devices, etc.

-A solution (application or OS) for music library, which i want to integrate with Itunes, for local sharing of audio files to Apple Music

-a ‘Homebridge like’ app or OS, for grouping multiple Wifi/Cast/Airplay speakers together as 1 Airplay receiver

-And if possible (already did some research on Homekit in HAOS) an integration with Apple Home app. I dont have a Homepod or Apple TV, so i’m doubting on only using HAOS ios App for remote acces and control, or integrate the Apple Home app. But have to check out if there are options to work with Apple Home app, even without the proper hub/hardware from Apple.

I want to run all of this on a Intel Nuc i7, 16gb ram, 1 m.2NVME ssd, and if needed a 2.5" ssd extra.

Would like to hear what your opinion is on my purposes, and what might be usefull solutions for this project.

You could use TrueNAS SCALE (TrueNAS) to achieve all of the above as TrueNAS is a Debian based system supporting VMs. However it is new and not as battle tested as Proxmox (also Debian based).

My suggestion is to use Proxmox to run the systems you require.

VM - HAOS (you can use HAOS as a bidirectional gateway to Homekit)
VM - TrueNAS
VM/CT - Plex, Kodi, etc.
VM/CT - Homebridge
VM/CT - anything else (e.g. Windows, MacOS, Android, etc.)

CT stands for container (LXC - https://linuxcontainers.org) which is a less resource intense version of a VM, supporting only Linux kernel based systems.

Your NUC seems capable of supporting the above setup. For the above you will need at least 8 cores and ideally 32GB RAM (TrueNAS will be the most CPU and RAM intense system, depending on size of your storage pool).

If you decide to go with Proxmox set everything up using ZFS (even if not using redundant boot disks) for a rock solid storage system (TrueNAS Scale is also ZFS based).

Wishing you best of luck and enjoy the festive season.

1 Like

In case you you would like to consider a more complete setup here are a few suggestions:

CT - Pi-hole (DNS and DHCP server)
CT - Traefik-proxy (reverse-proxy server)
CT - Cloudflared (remote access tunnel - you will be able to remotely access anything inside the Proxmox VE server, like having local access)
CT- Frigate (CCTV)
CT - Mosquitto (MQTT server)

Lastly most HA add-ons can also be run outside HA as CTs inside Proxmox VE.

For music, I suggest Logitech Media Server; open source brilliance which will do everything you need, and more.

Its amazing how supportive and helpfull you guys are :slight_smile:

Im going to install Proxmox on the NUC (onboard m.2 NVME) , and after that install HAOS as a VM on Proxmox, if that is the proper way you did advice me. after that i will just explore HAOS and its functions.Truenas will be second priority for now.
Do you have some tips which ISO/version of HAOS i need, and which harddrive you reccomend to install the HAOS VM (NVME m.2 , or Kingston SSD 2.5" sata).
Or maybe i can ask this a little less complicated,

on which drive (faster NVME m.2 / or older Kingston 2.5" SSD Sata disk) should i install the following;
-Proxmox OS ?
-HAOS VM ?
-TRUENAS VM ?
-HOMEBRIDGE OS/APPLICATION (not sure which)?
-HAOS PLUGINS ? (maybe could install Logitech media server as a plugin, or do you recommend a third VM for this?

What is the advantage of installing a HomeAssistant plugin outside the VM on Proxmox itself?
All extra advices and tips are welcome, im a newbie on this but i think i found my type of spending my free time ;).

Thank you, have some good days , greetings from the Netherlands.

Edit, i found out that its better to install Proxmox on the slower SSD and run the VM’s on the faster Nvme drive, if thats correct…?

It depends on storage capacity. Please share the storage capacity of your NVE and SATA drives.

I would also advice against Logitech. It is a legacy system, which has not kept up with the times.

IMHO Plex is the best because it supports any platform. You run the Plex server on PVE and you can then run the Plex client on any platform, even on TVs like Android, LG, etc; plus Plex is not music only, it supports movies, photos, and you get free movies, TV, etc. Kodi is the alternative to Plex as to get the best of Plex ideally you require a lifetime license.

A strong candidate for music-only is Jellyfin and if you want to go radio like streaming (create multiple channels to continuously stream music 24x7 - e.g. music for sleeping) try IceCast.

Another good option for media, especially if you consider yourself audiophile is JRMC (JRiver MC).

Below are a few more ideas (the benefit of using PVE is you can try all of them and settle on what is good for you):

https://libreelec.tv
https://emby.media

Partial list of media server software:

1. Less dependencies on HAOS
  2. Sharing the add-on with other services
  3. Easier to upgrade or even run two different versions
  4. If for whatever reason you mess up HAOS the add-ons are not affected as they are running outside HAOS
  5. Control which OS the add-on is running under
  6. Testing something new under PVE is only a matter of cloning the KVM/LXC change the IPaddr and hostname and in less than a minute you have a new instance of the same server, which you can upgrade to test things, etc. You can then decide to make it live while you keep the older one as a backup or you destroy it to create a new clone from fresh.

A drawback of running outside HAOS is that management (e.g OS updates) is your responsibility as well as installation.

I will take Mosquitto, an MQTT broker/server as an example. Under HAOS you very simply select the add-on and installation is done. Under PVE you have to do the installation yourself under an LXC. Then you have to maintain it (e.g. OS updates), while under HAOS this can be automatically done. Now if say HAOS becomes inoperable you also lose the MQTT server, while under PVE it is unaffected.

If you think you have the skills and the time to run these services outside HAOS, longer term is of benefit.

First of all, thankyou for the advice, both disks are 256GB.
I dont need much of their capacity cause i’m only using maybe a 75GB on truenas for personal files, and the other space will be used for the VM’s.
Truenas is second priority for me, so i need the most capable setup for the VM’s and OS. If Truenas might bottleneck some of that im thinking of cancel the whole truenas project. First want the Homekit and Apple music to run, provided by HAOS and a music streamer. Or do you advice to get rid of Apple Music local streaming solution, and just use only Plex?

But in which way could that be more efficient for me? Cause i’m only using the Homekit plugin, maybe homebridge, and just integrate them with the devices in my house… on that information do you think it would be less complex to just use HAOS for these apps?

And do you guys advice to use the homeassistant interface/dashvoard over the Apple Home app?
Or could it generate more issues when i want all devices to be controlled from Apple Home? Cause if u say; just go with HomeAssistant dashboard, i’ll use that instead of bridge it al to Apple Home(kit).

I suggest you install PVE using zfs not ext4 file system. Proxmox uses two volumes to install things. With zfs both volumes are installed in a single partition, while using ext4 on a 256G disk it is split as per the image below.

With zfs during PVE installation you can opt for a RAID-0 (striped giving a grand total storage of 512GB; no disk redundancy and not optimal as your disks are not similar) or RAID-1 (mirrored giving a grand total storage of 256GB; this provides redundancy; your 1st disk should be the NVMe).

I suggest you opt for the HA app. It is orders of magnitude better than anything Apple does, easier plus you are in control, not Apple, and it is a local interface with no phone home.

Everyone I know prefers the HA interface; using Lutron with hundreds of devices, which interfaces with HA using Homekit. No downtime for years.

One thing I would suggest is if you can subscribe to HA, even if you will not use it for remote access, to support the project.

FYI below is a zfs PVE install on a single 2TB NVMe.

Your advice about Logitech Media Server is incorrect.
LMS is under active development and is available on Github. The latest version is 8.3 and was released in the last few months.
It is available as an add-on and works as well, if not better, than the other options. The open source Android control app is updated regularly, is free and works brilliantly.

I have no beef with any particular vendor, but IMHO, based on the facts LMS should not be top of the media-server list as things stand. Why?

The following screenshot was taken today from the official website. Note, Radionomy was folded into SHOUTcast in 2020 (over three years ago - Radionomy - Wikipedia). Additionally does the interface hint into how much love this software receives? This is just a very quick skin-deep response without going into any depth on other aspects of the software.

Logitech doesn’t maintain LMS any more. It gifted the source code for open source development and is updated regularly. There many unofficial plugins that provide great functionality.

Your screen shot is irrelevant and misleading.

I have no time to enter pointless discussions (when you make strong claims you need to provide strong evidence).

I took the info from this website: My Media - Welcome to mysqueezebox.com!. Strange it makes no reference to anything else.

As I stated earlier. I have no beef with any piece of software, basing my opinions on decades long use and dev participation of media systems.

Pointless discussions?
Perhaps you should have made a simple search or, even, have made more than a cursory search of My Media. If, as you claim, “basing my opinions on decades long use and dev participation of media systems”, you may have noticed LMS is up to version 8.3, not 7.?.
If you offer sage advice about a subject, you might actually know the subject? You might , also, try to avoid slagging off people who know more than you.