Star Trek LCARS Theme

This is the definitive LCARS theme for Home Assistant! Countless hours have been poured into this project thus far, and it will continue to be updated and maintained as I cannot imagine my Home Assistant without it.

imageTHE DISCORD SERVER IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET TIMELY SUPPORTimage

If you ask for support here, you may not get an answer for days, weeks, or months, vs. hours on the Discord server. The Discord community also has many people who can help more effectively than I can by myself just monitoring this thread.

Discord Banner 2

Collaboration (PRs) are welcome, and so are alternate color schemes!

25 Likes

OMG… I LOVE IT!!!

I am looking at moving from openHAB to Home Assistant, and any second thoughts I may have had are now GONE!!!

Even the font is good. The official LCARS font is, imo, the worst part of LCARS. I find it VERY difficult to read.

Craig

2 Likes

Well done, and well written GitHub to boot!

I’ll be trying this out as my next major wall tablet redesign, it will fit right in with the right color combination.

Have you worked to optimize this for phone use?

1 Like

Thank you!
Yes, but I only had to change one thing for it to look right on mobile, surprisingly. I daily drive this as the main theme for all my devices. I guess I should post some mobile screenshots!

6 Likes

LOVE IT! I have prob the last 16hrs trying adapt to my liking and not even close but well worth it. great job

1 Like

This looks amazing!

Basic questions:

1. Can this theme be applied to JUST a dashboard, as opposed to the whole UI? I.e. will any parts of the theme break if it’s not applied to the whole UI?

I’d like to use this on just one dashboard that I cast to a screen.

2. Are there good guidelines or suggestions on what combination of cards are supported or look especially good in a dashboard cluster?

1 Like
  1. You can select a different theme on a per-device basis. Once you log into the device, click on your profile and select the theme. That should only apply it to that device/session.
  2. Since the theme relies on Card Mod, you can apply the theme on a per-card basis as well.

Sorry for the late response on this. I started typing it on this browser tab weeks ago, and came back to the tab to find that I never actually hit the send button.

2 Likes

Fantastic
I have been hesitating about Home Assistant and the availability of this theme means I will go ahead

You are truely a star.

Nick

1 Like

Last night I upgraded to Home Assistant 2023.4.0. Ever since, those beautiful LCARS have a black and white gradient spread all over the screen.

It would be terrific to have the LCARS back. All of my Trekker friends have been drooling on the sight of the HA LCARS displays in my house. I assume this might actually become much of a factor in HA’s attraction. :vulcan_salute:

P.S. I upgraded card-mod to release 3.2.2 (released Apr 4 to fix HA 2023.4) to no avail.

P.P.S. As far as I can tell with my shockingly limited knowledge of these things, it seems like the problem is located in this segment of the yaml file:

paper-listbox::before {
      content: "";
      # Problem located here -> background: linear-gradient(to bottom left, transparent 10%, #AAAAAADD 30%, #000000AA 60%, transparent 90%);
      width: 100%;
      height: 120%;
      margin-top: -130px;
      z-index: 9999;
      position: absolute;
      mix-blend-mode: overlay;
      opacity: .8;
      pointer-events: none;
    }

Thus, if you remove the background line, the gradient covering the screen will be gone. Alas, also gone is the smooth transition to the header as well as the clock and the roundish segment at the end of the header. :pleading_face:

Oh, yikes. Looking into this.

Update

I’m not seeing the black-and-white gradient on the screen, but I see that all modifications to the sidebar are broken or gone. I recommend reloading with a fresh cache to get to a usable state. I’ll be investigating the sidebar.

Update 2

The HA team has completely reconstructed the sidebar and header bar, it appears. You can watch for updates as I have them here: HA-LCARS

1 Like

Thanks a million, Jesse! You sure did a wonderful job fixing this within an hour. Amazing! Actually, just as amazing as the job you did with that LCARS theme over all. It’s just what I have always wanted. BTW, you were looking into adding sounds. If that worked, that’d be the icing on the cake for sure.

Just a quick question to everyone: The clock in the header bar is not back, yet, is it? I tried several browsers and refresh cycles. But for now, the clock and the end semi-circlular ornament seem to have vanished. So, I am not complaining (far from it actually). Rather I am wondering whether I have somehow messed up my local installation.

I’m actually working on getting the clock back today. I’ll send updates in the Discord channel as soon as (or if) I get it working again!

1 Like

Why not here?

Several reasons:

• The number of people engaged on the Discord channel dwarfs the number of people that engage here in this topic.
  • I am but a volunteer, already maintaining the code itself, the GitHub and documentation, fielding requests and issues in GitHub, and fielding requests and issues in the Discord server.

I’ll continue to respond to folks when they post here, but the most active place is the Discord server, and the second most active place is the GitHub page itself.

2 Likes

Oh my Q, the clock is back! That’s really great. Thank you so much, Jesse! :vulcan_salute:

BTW, I don’t use Discord, either. However, I can perfectly understand your reasoning. So, I’ll keep an eye on the github project. Nevertheless, if somebody happens to spot any updates, please free free to mention them here. :wink:

1 Like

:rofl:
I am working towards the 2.0 release with a bunch of new features including a method to easily disable the texture and a fix for the sidebar seam, which is the last remaining bug introduced by HA 2023.4.0. There might even be… S O U N D E F F E C T S.

3 Likes

the only thing that would make it for me is some vertical fader buttons and some better assimilation of DBuit/sidebar-card … then omg watch out!

(yeah its rough WIP, its only for 1x 8" Android Tablet PADD mounted in my mancave engineering …)

2 Likes

I just took a little peek at Github and found a link to potential sound effects! :tada: Yay!!!

The thing is, though, I am a total Pakled (i.e. ignoramus, which might have been only too obvious to even the most casual bystander). How do I include that lcars.js file to become active?

I tried this in my configuration.yaml:

frontend:
  javascript_version: latest
  themes: !include_dir_merge_named themes
  extra_module_url:
    - /local/plugins/card-mod.js
    - /local/plugins/lcars.js

Alas, I could not get any sounds that way, even though my browser can access the lcars.js file at /local/plugins/lcars.js.

1 Like

Oh, that’s still being worked on! Stick to the releases for now, please. I hope to have the sound effects and a more streamlined installation available for HA-LCARS 2.0 by this weekend.