Starting Over with Home Assistant Blue

We got the Home Assistant Blue because we wanted something simple to get going. We spent a few months playing with things and learning and have gotten to the point where we want to “start over” and use the lessons that we’ve learned to rebuild just the routines that we want and not have any artifacts of the ‘crap’ we created as we learned.

This is where we got ourselves into trouble and after trying to delete files in .config and a dozen of other attempts we seems to have left ourselves with a lightweight doorstop…

From other reading, I’m thinking that there is a way re-upload the original software onto the device via USB, but I’m unsure of:
1 - Where to get the files that I need to put onto a USB stick
2 - How to get the Home Assistant Blue to overwrite itself with the data on the USB Stick
3 - What else I don’t know.

I did read that there was a thread discussing where something worked and even creating a “Factory Reset Guide” and I’d be happy to assist with documenting procedures that work.

The HA Blue is an odroid N2. The instructions are here. You’ll need to open the case to get to the emmc module. You’ll need one of these to write the image to the emmc.

1 Like

Even if you totally hosed HA supervisor should still be running fine. Do you have any backups? If so you can restore those using the cli. Use ha backups list to list backups and find the slug of the one you want. Then restore by doing ha backups restore <slug>.

If you had set up the ssh addon while it was still working then you should be able to ssh in and do that. If not then you can connect a keyboard and monitor to the machine and run those commands that way.

Then maybe don’t be so aggressive in clearing things out :slightly_smiling_face:

@bkprath
You are aware you 100% do not need an eMMC adaptor to flash on ODroid?? There is quite a simple flash process that allows you to flash it via the USB cable. You don’t need to remove the eMMC and use special adaptors.
Common Tasks - Operating System - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io)

The ODroid N2+ used in the Blue has a switch on the board to toggle the boot mode.

Also, with the Home Assistant Blue, you can flash it directly from Etcher as per instructions on ODROID - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io)

That’s good information. I’ve been using odroid products for years and have always just use the adapter. Once I get back my spare odroid N2+ I’ll give this a try. Thanks.

Also good to know as the adaptor is apparently not compatible with 128GB eMMC (according to Ameridroid) and the Home Assistant Blue came with 128GB eMMC