Starting with Home Assistant

Hi,

I’m new to Home Assistant and running Domoticz at the moment.

I bought a second hand NUC i3 to start trying HA, I did some searching and that made me even more confused on how to start.

I want to run HA on my NUC and maybe something like a cloud server or crypto wallet as well.

First I found the official nuc image and after searching I see Docker, Proxmox, Proxmox with Docker, Debian, hassio, Home assistant core with supervisor, etc.

That’s so much information I have no idea what some mean and why go that way.

So please someone explain what I should do,

TY

Also found this guide Absolute Beginners guide to installing HA on Intel NUC using Docker
Though that wants me to install Ubuntu Desktop 16.04 LTS

Certified for the Dawson Canyon NUC models: NUC7i7DNHE, NUC7i7DNKE, NUC7i7DNBE, NUC7i5DNHE, NUC7i5DNKE, NUC7i5DNBE NUC7i3DNHE, NUC7i3DNKE, NUC7i3DNBE and for the June Canyon NUC models: NUC7PJYH and NUC7CJYH.

And I don’t have a NUC7, Mine is a NUC5i3RYK

Read this:

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/home-assistant-installation-methods/

I am running Ubuntu 18.04 with HA in Docker, I would highly suggest that route (using 20.04) or Proxmox

Except Ubuntu isn’t officially supported.

For HA in Docker who cares, the support issue revolves around a supervised install

It might not be the best advice to point a new user towards an unsupported OS. Especially since many users seem like or need the add-ons which are not available unless you run OS or a Supervised install.

2 Likes

Addons might be needed later on indeed.

Though a fully dedicated nuc is a bit overkill so i’d like to used some of the resources for a photo storage or maybe my crypto wallet.

Proxmox VE with HassOS in a Virtual Machine?
That way you can use LXC (containers) to run other stuff…
Just my 2c