Starting with Ikea tradfri

Hey Everyone,

I am new to hassio so hope to learn some from the others here :slight_smile:

A week or two ago I bought some things from IKEA that I want to connect to my hassio, but it doesn’t really work yet.

The IKEA gave me those three things:

How can I connect the TRÅDFRI Wireless dimmer with the TRÅDFRI Wireless plug-in socket?
When I look in the Ikea app. I can only add lights I guess.

Did I miss something? :slight_smile:

If you want assistance you will need to provide more information. Have you successfully integrated the IKEA Gateway into Home Assistant ?

In the app you can add and link everything (to the gateway/hub), even the sockets, but those sockets are IMHO not dimmable.
I also believe that it is possible to link lamps with the dimmer or remote control directly (without a gateway) but than you won’t be able to control them with HomeAssistant or by the app.

Yes the gateway is connected to the hassio

What do you mean with this?

You need to connect the ikea dimmer with your socket, then add both to the gateway. Then you can add the gateway to HA. Howto: it is in the booklet provided with the dimmer and socket.

Are you sure a socket respectively a lamp connected to it can be dimmed by the dimmer?
I dont’ think so.

It can’t. The E1743 just acts as an on/off switch when paired with the socket. Do be used as a dimmer it needs to be paired with a bulb.

1 Like

Even if it would be possible to pair them, it makes IMHO not much sense when there is a gateway or Homeassistant involved.

If you use the Ikea tradfri gateway, there is no other way to connect the socket to the gateway. You need to use a remote. Stupid system, but that is the Ikea way.

Okay, I see - my bad. Thanks.
I was to much concentrating on he dimmer thing…
ps
Sold my gateway a year ago and use deconz now.

First of all, thank you for the answers.

I think the main problem is that I have those amazing things from the Ikea, but do not know how to set it up.

Do you need something else for the on/off switch? Like an usb that understands the zigbee protecoll?

I have added the Power switch to my bridge but cannot find it in my hassio.

Have you followed the instructions I pointed you to?

Yes I did follow the instructions

For remotes you can only see battery state, you need to add a device to the remote with the Ikea app

Okay, it took some time (I did not have time to respond). Anyhow,

To give an update, yes you can only see the battery state from the power button, I fixed the switch.
So I ordered an ConBee II Zigbee USB-Stick to connect to the power button.

I finally stopped using the ikea gateway and bought a zigbee usb stick, which seems to work a lot better

3 Likes