Starting with intergrations and can't get them running

My installation of HA is in virtualenv on a Debian 10. I’m a starting with HA so it might be something very obvious, but I cannot get a ‘custom’ integrations running (from github or https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/) which are not in this UI (as it is missing a lot of them):

For example, I cannot get sensor.buienradar running. I tried lots of options and among others editing the ~/.homeassistant/configuration.yaml and adding some examples I found in the forum:

20191030-173009

But nothing. The sensor is not found by HA and I cannot add it to any card. Neither there is a default card for it.

It seems that I’m missing the concept of integration management in HA. I don’t understand yet how to add them to HA.

In this example I’d like to show a rain radar map in the LoveLaceUI.

In general I’d like to understand how to:

Most integrations can’t be added from the UI, most still require an entry in configuration.yaml. The docs for the integrations will explain what’s required.

Did you restart Home Assistant after adding that sensor? Any changes to configuration.yaml require a restart before they’re applied. Note that you don’t need to reboot the host, just restart Home Assistant.

I did restart HA via reload core, but now I also see server managament > restart and tried that. This worked with my config! Thanks!!

Any advice on how to add a custom integration from GIT?

Reload core just reloads entity customizations.

The readme for whatever custom component you’re looking at should explain how to install it. HACS is an option for some custom components.

1 Like