State_color in entity-button cards (v0.105.2)

Upgrade from 0.104.3 to 0.105.2 this morning, and I’ve now spent a couple of hours trying to get my head around the state_color change. I’m using the default theme.

My understanding from the release notes was that this change would stop icons changing color dependent on state, and that this new default behaviour could be overridden using ‘state_color’ within the card code.

My frontend relies heavily on conditional entity-button cards, and after upgrading all of the cards (regardless of entity type) now show the icon in yellow regardless of entity type or any consistency on state.

I’m clearly not understanding the implications of this change - can someone please give me some pointers?

Example of an affected card:

entity: input_boolean.garage_notify
hold_action:
  action: call-service
icon: 'mdi:video'
name: Garage
theme: Backend-selected
type: entity-button
tap_action:
  action: more-info

No matter where I try to apply state_color: false it seems to have zero effect.

So it seems that this was a “design decision” as my issue raised on github has been closed.

This leaves me forced to either:

1. Find a way of supressing the colour change on a per entity / card basis for non-switch entities
  2. Redesign my entire lovelace UI.

Any suggestions on how I can do either of the above would be appreciated.

without any explanation? link?

Github link

A link to the design discussion was posted in response to another query on the issue.

thanks. I haven’t finished that read yet, too lengthy

For completeness, here is a sample of the card layout that I’m looking to disable state_color in.

Cut from within a vertical and horizontal stack, but this is the syntax for all the problem cards.
As an alarm_control_panel it is highlighted in yellow (I’m using the default theme) when disarmed.

- card:
          entity: alarm_control_panel.blink_sync
          hold_action:
            action: call-service
            service: alarm_control_panel.alarm_disarm
            service_data:
              entity_id: alarm_control_panel.blink_sync
          icon: 'mdi:video'
          name: Indoor
          theme: Backend-selected
          type: entity-button
        conditions: