Stay with Emporia Vue or switch to IoTaWATT

Good afternoon, all.

I have a solar installation coming into my home in the next couple weeks (yay!). The time when electricians are working on the panel would seem like the time to do it.

I currently have an Emporia Vue Gen 2 installed when I moved in in 2020. It’s generally been solid, but the raft of API errors about a year ago turned me off to it somewhat, and I’m still not sure I trust Emporia’s overall commitment to third-party integration or what they do with power data.

My options seem to be:

Stick with the Vue 2, simply have some sensors moved for solar. Upside is I already have the hardware, downside is the ongoing uncertainty about the API and its stability.

Move to the IoTaWATT. Major plus is purely local data flow. Downside is fewer channels (14 vs. 16), more complex setup, plus the new hardware cost.

It seems to me that IoTAWATT is generally well regarded around here and gets recommended frequently (ie: here), but some additional reading points to potential reliability issues around the data flow. I’d also have to figure out how to port all my data over, if that’s even possible.

A third and final option is to try flashing the Vue to emporia-vue-local. Uses what I have, gets local data flow, but the setup at least appears relatively intimidating.

So, thoughts? Recommendations? Appreciate any insight you all may offer. Have a good one.

Is IotaWatt still in business? I thought I saw a post a while back that the primary maintainer had decided to shut the project down. Has someone stepped up to keep it going?

They came back from the dead, per this thread on their forum.

1 Like