Stihl Imow - Robotic lawn mower

Is anybody working on an integration for iMOW® STIHL robotic lawn mower (model : 632PC)?

1 Like

On it. Cannot promise sth, especially no due date, but the PoC looks promising with authentication workflow working, commands can be emitted and status can be received.

1 Like

(testing with my 422PC)

Great! Thank you @ChrisHaPunkt and good luck!

I following this i just bought at 422PC to, interesting to hear if you got it working

So far so good :wink:, Python lib is published. I’m currently creating the HA integration step by step.

3 Likes

Excelent!!! Please let me know when yhe HA intergration is ready. Do you know how long it will take?

I would pronounce it an pre-pre-alpha, but i finished a first snapshot as a HACS custom component integration.
Feel free to test:

1 Like

Tested and approved. Thank you very much for this promising first reading step! :slight_smile: Apparently, get data seems totally feasible. Do you believe you will also be able to implement something to write parameters and launch actions? For instance to start or stop the mower?

Following with interest. I get the attributes via NodeRed. Please continue with developing the commands we can issue! Thank you.

2 Likes

In a perfect world i would release it side-by-side with the next release :wink: i don’t want a dependency to NodeRED to access the attributes. There are some dirty hacks currently that penetrates the upstream stihl api more than neccessary, which will mitigate with the new sensor concept.

I have a strange other picture right now, my iMow App and the Webinterface showing “offline”, while the direct api (and so the HA Integration shows the correct state). Is it just me?

grafik

I like the specific icons you used on the sensors. So I don’t have to search for fitting icons on my own.

I plan to invest time this evening, so stay tuned :wink:

Here is a list of icons used:

mdi:robot-mower     name, device type
mdi:baby-carriage   child lock
mdi:go-kart-track   circumference
mdi:weather-pouring rain sensor mode, rain status
mdi:antenna         online
mdi:knife           blade service
mdi:watch           total blade operating time, total operating time
mdi:map-marker-distance     total distance travelled

Not sure about your reasons not to use NodeRed. NR just uses the data you collect from the api in a “Current state” node and a “Change” or “Switch” of “Function” node. And then creates a (binary) sensor using the “Entity” node. It all runs locally behind the protection that Home Assistant provides.
I find it so much easier to use NR for accessing attributes:

• Easy to find the path to the specific attribute
  • Easy to format output, manipulate strings and dates
  • Easy to try things and debug, without ever restarting HA
  • One location to add a specific icon and unit of measurement

Anyway, perhaps I do not understand your point. Look forward to the new functionalities!

By the way, how often do you execute the api calls? Every 60 seconds? Would like to have the option to change that, if at all possible.

NodeRed is a great tool and supports many usecases. But I don’t want to create a dependency that forces the users to have NodeRED installed to acces the informationen provided by the integration in a comfortable way, that’s all.

The updating is handled by HomeAssistant itself, that not upon me. I just give the informationen how something needs to be updated and HomeAssistant schedules this in their own logic. I don’t know yet if it’s possible to provide a service which triggers an update.

1 Like

Hello @ChrisHaPunkt, you made my life much easier since I am now able to constantly monitor most imow sensors for my RMI 422 PC (such as battery, GPS position, etc.). :slight_smile:
And here in HA it’s much more comfortable than the original STIHL app!!

I also made it to display the current GPS position on a lovelace map card:

But as can you on the map it’s not really possible to recognize a clear route of the mower.
Is it possible to update the GPS coordinates more frequently?
Or is this dependent on the mower and its firmware / communication with the server?

Cheers, red

1 Like

Hi red,

I just found a way to set the polling interval (which defaults to 30s). The mower itself sends its data via the GSM Module to the upstream server from where my integration is receiving the updated data every 30s. So even if I set the interval to 5s (which could possibly harm the upstream api ;)) there is no guarantee that the mower is sending the data in such high frequency to the server.
I will further think about it. Maybe values of 15s can be a compromise.

1 Like

And for all readers an update on the progress in pictures:

integration

(device class matching and icon maps still todo)

1 Like

Hi Chris,
My question was not to get a faster rate. The GSM only updates when something significant is happening. More like every 5 minutes at most. HA normally sets 60 seconds as default. I’d like to be able to set this to 5 min, to not overtax the system. Excellent you have found this so quickly.

Other interesting commands:

• Start mowing, go back to station, start edge mowing - nicely done!
  • Switch automatic mode on/off
  • Energy mode switch ECO/STD

Have you found functionality to map intelligent the way back to the station?

Great work!

Sorry, in reply to your reply to Red!