Still possible to install on old Raspberry Pi?

Hi I have an old Raspberry Pi Model B+ (from the first gen). I have noticed that the last compatible version was from last year (version 6.6). I have tried installing this and I am constantly being met with errors - mostly around the Home Assistant CLI failing to start. I have tried the various solutions on this community such as entering ‘login’ or changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8, unfortunately this does not resolve the issue. I am starting to wonder if it is to do with the fact that it is an old version which is no longer supported. If this is the case then could I use a newer version aimed at another Raspberry Pi model? It is extremely difficult to get a new rpi3 or 4 board with delays going on until next year so I just wanted to make use of what I already have.

I’m not saying there isn’t a way possible but, the HA docs recommend a minimum of a Pi3. I ran on a 3B+ for a year or so and it wasn’t fun. did you only try the OS install? what about doing a minimal OS installl and then running it in Docker compose? You could also run it on your pc or pick up a used HP Elitedesk, they run about 80-100$ on ebay.

I have an original B+ working well as a webcam server, however trying to operate any software with a GUI web or otherwise on anything older than a 3 is sadly just not going to work.

From Wikipedia there is about 20x the CPU (and that’s without accounting for bus speeds, 32/64bit, parallelism, etc) :

• 1B+ 0.213GFLOPS = 1x 0.7GHz
  • 4B 13.5GFLOPS = 4x 1.5 GHz

A 3B+ is OK, but not great for ESPhome compiles, and a 3 “feels” about half the CPU of a 3B+ (which ws the first RPi that “felt usable” as a desktop). Anything older is basically a digital sign, or microprocesor with added screen.

I’d agree that the most widely available and supportable platform is an old, small PC or low-power laptop (a Lenovo ThinkCentre or similar small form factor ex-corporate desktops aren’t expensive and are common due to Win11 / pandemic refreshes).

For extra points, remove the HDD and use a M.2 SSD in a cheap USB carrier - reduces noise, and can be use-used later when a Yellow or even a RPi 400 becomes available.

So are we saying I won’t be able to run Supervisor and use the browser gui as the front end?

We are saying, it may work but it will be unusable due to performance constraints.

I tried to install it manually using the following link:

https://github.com/Kanga-Who/home-assistant/blob/19a85f24a95a5550af7aff18495ac352538e966f/Supervised%20Install%20on%20Raspberry%20Pi%20OS.md

When I try to do the final step to run run Supervisor for the first time I get the following error message:

[info] This script is taken from the official
[info]
[info] Home Assistant Supervised script available at
[info]
[info] https://github.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer
[info]
[warn] Docker is using json-file and not 'journald' as the logging driver, this is not supported.
[info] Creating NetworkManager configuration
[warn] Changes are needed to the /etc/network/interfaces file
[info] If you have modified the network on the host manualy, those can now be overwritten
[info] If you do not overwrite this now you need to manually adjust it later
[info] Do you want to proceed with overwriting the /etc/network/interfaces file? [N/y]
y
[info] Replacing /etc/network/interfaces
[info] Restarting NetworkManager
Job for NetworkManager.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status NetworkManager.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

I looked up the details of this error and this is what it said:

NetworkManager.service - Network Manager
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Drop-In: /usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service.d
             └─10-dhcpcd.conf
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2022-11-17 21:38:25 GMT; 1min 46s ago
       Docs: man:NetworkManager(8)
    Process: 1306 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
   Main PID: 1306 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
        CPU: 398ms

Nov 17 21:38:24 raspberrypi systemd[1]: NetworkManager.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Nov 17 21:38:24 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start Network Manager.
Nov 17 21:38:25 raspberrypi systemd[1]: NetworkManager.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Nov 17 21:38:25 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Stopped Network Manager.
Nov 17 21:38:25 raspberrypi systemd[1]: NetworkManager.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Nov 17 21:38:25 raspberrypi systemd[1]: NetworkManager.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Nov 17 21:38:25 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start Network Manager.

When I look at the contents of /etc/network/interfaces it just says 404: Not Found. Any idea what could be the issue here? I have internet connectivity via ethernet cable which is working when I ping google.com

even if you get it working on a device with less than the minimum requirements, your going to be very dissapointed. My 2 cents, stop trying to put a square peg inside a round hole. Spend 100$ and buy a mini pc. It will exceed the minimum requirements and give you a platform for the future as well.

I admire your tenacity, but you are discovering that whilst it is possible to push a baked bean up Mount Fuji using your nose, it is not recommended! :slight_smile:

There will be a plethora of issues running 2022 software on 2011 hardware (read the Wikipedia specs link I added above).

Missing Ethernet drivers are only the start - HASS on my Yellow is currently using 1MB RAM, which is going to make a mess of a SD card when it tries to swap with only 256Mb of physical RAM and 1/20th the CPU.

I have been running Home Assistant and deconz on my Raspberry Pi Model B+ for the last couple of years. It works fine…once it’s setup.

The most painful part is installing stuff. Now that that’s done it’s not so bad, but I find that updating the software is getting more and more painful, especially when I have to upgrade the Python version. I am planning to upgrade to a newer rpi for this reason.

To be clear, I installed only Home Assistant core, not the full “Home Assistant OS”.

I have HAOS installed on raspberry pi 2, you can find its img file on the github, it works fine, though its a little bit slower than i like

Hi

I just found and old Rpi1B.

• install raspbian (bookworm)
  • update /upgrade
  • installing some lib/soft (rustc, libopenblas0, libavfornat59, libopenjp2-7)
  • disable RUST lto ( RUSTFLAGS=‘-C lto=no’)
  • creating venv
  • install home assistant (pip install homeassistant)
  • install last hacs compatible.(1.34)
  • first run of hass will install all needed pip packages.

Install process is very very very slow :slight_smile:
But at the end It’s usable for automation and simple tasks (light/switch/sensors/temperature)
Due to python3.11 last installable version is 2024.3.3
(probably some issue with last integrations)

W.

You could build Python 3.12, it just takes another long, long time.

Haha,

life is too short.
I’ll wait for new raspian version.
I’ll propably test lighter linux version too (like alpine).

For now installation / build process requiert more than 6Go SD card.