STOPTIMER node removed from Node Red 12; 5yrs+ since last update; Should I even be using it as I am?; Alternatives?

Does anyone read? You can just reinstall the old nodes.

4 Likes

I’m using the stoptimer 70 times.
On the use of the trigger node as a replacement. Is my understanding that this is the correct configuration of the trigger node to serve as a one-toone replacement of the stoptimer (I was a bit confused for example between the option for the latest msg object vs the original msg object)?

2 Likes

Does anyone read? You can just reinstall the old nodes.

2 Likes

But when re-installing it does not recreate the flows - just dumped all the stop timer nodes I had configured in my first flow. Fixed now.

I suggest you watch your tone a bit, It seems like I read this thread better than you did.
Yes the changelog and this thread both explain I can reinstall the nodes and that’s what I did.
However there are also arguments being set out that it’s better to replace it with the trigger node.

3 Likes

After a message hits the trigger node it blocks any messages from going through until whatever duration you put in “wait for” has passed (or until it’s been that long since it’s last received a message if you do “extend delay if new message arrives”).

When the time has passed it sends a message. If you choose “original message” then it sends the first message it received which started the delay. If you choose “latest message” then it sends the last one it received before the delay ended.

If you’re just trying to emulate exactly how stop timer worked then choose “latest message”.

hello, why not reinstall it manual via manage palette.

Everyone on this thread is well aware reinstall is an option and how to do it. It’s been shown/explained several times. Consider actually reading the post at the top and some of the replies below.

No need to re-install, you can just add the missing yourself under the node-red addon configuration:

4 Likes

I was using looptimer in several nodes as a one second timer feeding counters that track duration time. With the suggestions in this thread, I was able to investigate and switch over to using the trigger node with the exact same results.
Likely should have been using trigger all along anyway.
Thanks for all the suggestions and pointers here.
Cheers!

It did that to me too but after a little, maybe after restarting node-red, it was back to normal.

1 Like

@quizzical - The only change to your awesome (saved me having to figure it out) recommendation was to add “STOP” in the msg.payload equals box so as to make it a perfect drop in for how I was using it before. Later I can adjust my flows to using the default msg.reset: true method

@Mikefila Thanks for offering the trigger alternative so quickly!

Ok, Frenck kills all my automation because he thinks he has to remove addons that are too old. can you do that…

2 Likes

@Johnnyyr - It takes 2 seconds to re-install the Stoptimer node from the “Manage Palette”. You probably have to restart the Node-Red addon after reinstalling the node. To be clear, there is no need to downgrade Node-Red for things to work again.

Regardless, I eliminated all the Stoptimer nodes I had used (once restoring functionality by re-installing it so things would work in the meantime) and replaced them with the wayyyy better trigger node (if all the removed nodes were to show up on the main flow which scared me when it happened to me). Doing so also inspired me to use that node for other things that I did not know how to do before.

The update nodes DID say that the removed nodes simply needed to be re-installed but I know we are all a bit too update trigger happy :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello, Trigger node seems to me a fine replacement.

By the other way, I already used DELAY Node in parallel of StopTimer Node. Now I can’t really feel the difference between Delay Node and StopTimer and why I used some times the one and some times the other, so I can’t feel why I should some times use Trigger Node over Delay Nodes for timers.

Feel free the tell your experience.

Sorry I did think (assume) that you had joined the list of hysterical complainers as exemplified by this post STOPTIMER node removed from Node Red 12; 5yrs+ since last update; Should I even be using it as I am?; Alternatives? - #28 by Johnnyyr

Clearly on re-reading you are not in that group. Apologies.

1 Like

Thanks, I appreciate it! misunderstandings happen all too easily :wink:

I officially withdraw my rant…

1 Like

What the heck, I use a stoptimer node in almost all of my Node-RED flows, and I have automatic updates enabled, so all of my automations suddenly stopped working overnight. That’s a bit annoying! I’m surprised they thought that no-one was using it. I just read through the rest of the comments, and thanks for the tips on how to fix it by installing the old packages.

Here’s a quick walkthrough for anyone else who wants to fix it:

• Go to your Addons dashboard (/hassio/dashboard) - e.g. http://homeassistant.local:8123/hassio/dashboard
  • Click the Node-RED addon
  • Go to the Configuration tab
  • Scroll down to the npm_packages section
  • Add node-red-contrib-stoptimer and node-red-contrib-looptimer

Or if you edit as YAML:

npm_packages:
  - node-red-contrib-stoptimer
  - node-red-contrib-looptimer
  # ...

Click “Save” and restart Node-RED. Everything should be working again.

node-red-contrib-stoptimer

2 Likes