STOPTIMER node removed from Node Red 12; 5yrs+ since last update; Should I even be using it as I am?; Alternatives?

Thanks a lot for this STOPTIMER help. Had used it several times and this made it easy to fix.

1 Like

Hmmā€¦ in the trigger mode I miss the 2nd output ; maximum number of loopsā€¦

You can also stop the loop by specifying a maximum number of loops, which when reached, will stop the loop and timer, as well as sending a payload of max loops reached through the second output.
Got any ideas for that ?

Loop timer advanced is newer and has the max loops reached through a second output.

1 Like

Yes it is newer, nevertheless Updated 1 year, 9 months agoā€¦
So both are oldā€¦donā€™t really see the point herešŸ¤”

Iā€™m still using the originals. I doubt a timer will introduce a hacking vulnerability, I may be wrong but I donā€™t plan on changing them unless they stop working. :man_shrugging:

Itā€™s true, the risk is probably very low. I do feel like it might be worth the effort to go from stop timer to trigger since itā€™s a straightforward transition and the latter is maintained by nr team. It also has a lot more functionality packed into the one node.

I had never used looptimer so looking at it now. I donā€™t know any alternative to that besides a function node so Iā€™d probably keep using that one too if I was using it.

2 Likes

I successfully replaced all my instances of looptimer and stoptimer with the trigger node. I changed the reset message inside the tigger node so that I could use it in my existing flows with no issues. I had originally planned to install the two nodes separately as had been suggested but after reading other posts I went this route, not due to any worries about security, it was all about future proofing.

1 Like

How did you deal with setting the number of loops?

I put together a subflow that uses the trigger node to replicate looptimer since itā€™s a little complicated.

Double clicking the node will let you change the variables.

There you can also click edit subflow to see the under lying nodes.

[{"id":"1f5ed1330e5fbbc4","type":"subflow","name":"loop subflow","info":"looptime = delay between loops\n\nEnter time in ms only!\n\nLoops are exact, does not add one like loop timer!\n\nIf msg.payload = stop or STOP, stops the loop!","category":"","in":[{"x":120,"y":300,"wires":[{"id":"288a6fc49b25b3b5"}]}],"out":[{"x":1480,"y":280,"wires":[{"id":"b301057f72b70d8c","port":0}]}],"env":[{"name":"looptime","type":"num","value":"250"},{"name":"loops","type":"num","value":"5"}],"meta":{},"color":"#DDAA99"},{"id":"b301057f72b70d8c","type":"trigger","z":"1f5ed1330e5fbbc4","name":"","op1":"1","op2":"0","op1type":"str","op2type":"str","duration":"-1000","extend":false,"overrideDelay":true,"units":"ms","reset":"stop","bytopic":"all","topic":"topic","outputs":1,"x":720,"y":280,"wires":[["d6b017426fdd5647"]]},{"id":"d6b017426fdd5647","type":"counter","z":"1f5ed1330e5fbbc4","name":"","init":"0","step":"1","lower":"","upper":"","mode":"increment","outputs":"1","x":940,"y":240,"wires":[["e28df21fabb703ad"]]},{"id":"e28df21fabb703ad","type":"switch","z":"1f5ed1330e5fbbc4","name":"","property":"count","propertyType":"msg","rules":[{"t":"gte","v":"loops","vt":"env"}],"checkall":"true","repair":false,"outputs":1,"x":1070,"y":240,"wires":[["8208c41d977eac65"]]},{"id":"8208c41d977eac65","type":"change","z":"1f5ed1330e5fbbc4","name":"","rules":[{"t":"set","p":"reset","pt":"msg","to":"true","tot":"bool"}],"action":"","property":"","from":"","to":"","reg":false,"x":480,"y":140,"wires":[["d6b017426fdd5647","b301057f72b70d8c"]]},{"id":"a7068b3f0b87273a","type":"change","z":"1f5ed1330e5fbbc4","name":"","rules":[{"t":"set","p":"delay","pt":"msg","to":"looptime","tot":"env"}],"action":"","property":"","from":"","to":"","reg":false,"x":460,"y":400,"wires":[["b301057f72b70d8c"]]},{"id":"288a6fc49b25b3b5","type":"switch","z":"1f5ed1330e5fbbc4","name":"","property":"payload","propertyType":"msg","rules":[{"t":"eq","v":"stop","vt":"str"},{"t":"eq","v":"STOP","vt":"str"},{"t":"else"}],"checkall":"true","repair":false,"outputs":3,"x":270,"y":300,"wires":[["8208c41d977eac65","b301057f72b70d8c"],["8208c41d977eac65","5df9f7902e4a0a3f"],["a7068b3f0b87273a"]]},{"id":"5df9f7902e4a0a3f","type":"change","z":"1f5ed1330e5fbbc4","name":"","rules":[{"t":"set","p":"payload","pt":"msg","to":"stop","tot":"str"}],"action":"","property":"","from":"","to":"","reg":false,"x":480,"y":240,"wires":[["b301057f72b70d8c"]]},{"id":"91d82e999127bed8","type":"subflow:1f5ed1330e5fbbc4","z":"f80b6c338afd5483","name":"loop subflow","env":[{"name":"looptime","value":"1000","type":"num"},{"name":"loops","value":"6","type":"num"}],"x":990,"y":160,"wires":[["9555aeef94994375"]]},{"id":"6a961c064728b83f","type":"inject","z":"f80b6c338afd5483","name":"","props":[{"p":"payload"},{"p":"topic","vt":"str"}],"repeat":"","crontab":"","once":false,"onceDelay":0.1,"topic":"","payload":"","payloadType":"date","x":740,"y":160,"wires":[["91d82e999127bed8"]]},{"id":"9555aeef94994375","type":"debug","z":"f80b6c338afd5483","name":"","active":true,"tosidebar":true,"console":false,"tostatus":false,"complete":"true","targetType":"full","statusVal":"","statusType":"auto","x":1230,"y":160,"wires":[]},{"id":"a0ba592e017eabb5","type":"inject","z":"f80b6c338afd5483","name":"","props":[{"p":"payload"}],"repeat":"","crontab":"","once":false,"onceDelay":0.1,"topic":"","payload":"stop","payloadType":"str","x":730,"y":100,"wires":[["91d82e999127bed8"]]},{"id":"8e2cb24b7c860fdc","type":"inject","z":"f80b6c338afd5483","name":"","props":[{"p":"payload"}],"repeat":"","crontab":"","once":false,"onceDelay":0.1,"topic":"","payload":"STOP","payloadType":"str","x":730,"y":40,"wires":[["91d82e999127bed8"]]}]
3 Likes

Thanks it works very well.

Looks useful, I will check it out.

For me, I do not care about the number of loops in my usage. I use the loops to send reminder notifications and stop the loops either by responding to the actionable notification or addressing the issue.

1 Like

Can you share how you do it? It is something I should implement but have yet to do so. Tnx!

I have a simple Door Monitor/Alarm Flow. It has 3 modes - Disarmed, Monitor and Armed (these are input booleans I defined in HA). I plan to an additional Vacation mode as well as include a Guest option that will modify the behavior when we have overnight guests. A case of everything works for us at the moment so I am playing with a few other projects before I come back to this one.

In the Monitor operating mode I monitor if any of a subset of doors are open for longer than 45 secs. If one of these doors are open longer that this I send notifications to mine and my wifeā€™s phones plus a wall mounted tablet and repeat this every 45 seconds until the door closes. The notification states which door(s) is open plus it gives a final notification when all doors are closed. Maybe overly complex but I am retired and this is fun!

Below is what I call my Monitor Event Handler (I have another one for Armed with a few more bells and whistles):

The inputs on the left are from the various door sensors (Zigbee). I have 1 group which are the main house doors plus 2 individual doors - the Garage door and the Refrigerator in the garage. I donā€™t monitor the Garage door in this mode but I do monitor the garage refrigerator. I flip this in the Alarm mode. We live in South FL so this mode is mainly so that we donā€™t leave a door open and air condition the outside! No AC in the garage so no worries.

The top 2 left inputs are door open events and the bottom 2 are door close events. The Current State nodes are so that inputs are only passed if the Monitor boolean is True. I have these on the input side and on the output side of this handler.

The Trigger node was a looptimer. The flow is the same, I simply replaced the looptimer with the trigger node and configured it as:

The Get Entities node is used twice. Itā€™s input from the Trigger node is how I determine which door is open so that I can format it and send in my notification. It is also use to count the number of Closed doors so that I can stop the looping notifications and send the All Doors Closed notification.

Hope this helps. Feel free to comment or ask for more detail. This is how I did it - I am sure there are other, better ways to do this.

BTW - below is my lovelace dashboard for my phone for my Alarm.

@stanman1958 Thank you so much for all the detail. I am working on that part of my automation and you gave me lots of great tips and ideas on how to get it done!

Thanks for this - it was trivial to add triggers instead and I prefer this to relying on something thatā€™s no longer maintained.

1 Like

Hmmā€¦ this node-red-contrib-looptimer is a whopping 130 lines of java scriptā€¦ not much to maintain on that then is there?

When software is working as should, there is no need to update it just for the sake of updating itā€¦.

2 Likes

yeah, my node red broke on that last update, but as was already said, I just put the stoptimer package (and others) in the npm_packages section for the addon config.

At least they didnā€™t ā€œGoogleā€ us by getting rid of the feature entirely :slight_smile:

Maintain it then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good job weā€™ve all got choices and opinions of our own eh? :slight_smile:

Is update just canceling STOPTIMER or STOPTIMER VARI DELAY as well? Cause I updated and my stoptimer vari delays still work.

I already went and replaced all my plain ole STOPTIMERā€™s with trigger nodes before updating.

Just stoptimer and looptimer that were included in the default install. Anyhow, they can easily be re-installed, or you can update your flows to use something else as discussed in this thread.